Why the Lack of Web Presense/Responsiveness for Ham Radio Clubs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N2PPK, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. DW7LFU

DW7LFU Ham Member QRZ Page

im a web developer by profession, its kinda ironic that even our own club website is not that updated. i would love to if i have the access...

for now i just do posting in social media...

2. W2RWJ

W2RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For many years I kept up the social media and website for my former club. Trying to maintain compatibility with both the ancient XP machines that many hams favor *and* the Android and IOS mobile devices was a royal pain towards the end.

The new web guy has removed a great deal of content and migrated to wordpress CMS to make his life easier.

3. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No adverts. No popups. There are sites out there that look like a 1960s rock concert dispaly. That one doesn't.

N4FFL likes this.
  4. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the clubs I belong to was stuck in the mid-90's, webpage-wise. The (ahem!) "webmaster" would always talk about giving access to others, but rarely ever did. It was certainly a one-man show. The overall page hadn't been updated since around 2010 and would occasionally get an update if it was pressed. I didn't really care much for the existing site as it was done in .NET Nuke (or something along those lines)

Eventually, due to the lack of updates, the club voted on acquiring the domain name so we could move forward on building a new one. The domain was registered and under this guy's control. After some back-and-forth, he finally decided to relinquish control of the domain to the club.

In late 2015/early 2016, we transfered the domain to a new hosting company, built a new web page in WordPress, and have at least two trusted people with administrative access to the website and web host so no one person should be able create their own little empire. The web page is updated on a regular basis and has a much more-useful format than the previous one without being overly busy such as its predecessor.

N4FFL likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should step up to the plate, And try not to step on to many toes.

I know the last thing you want to do at home is what you do at work.

N6QIC likes this.
  6. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

NARC.jpeg
    OK, I'll say it again: We have the BEST Ham Radio Club website, bar none! And maybe that's because our web site is our number 1 priority. Everything seems to feed from that! As a result, we have grown from 50 to over 160 members. Website is managed by several hams, not just one!
    Please visit us at:
    N1FD.org

7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would never join a ham radio club, or any organization in ham radio. They are all about making money and that is it, they are all self serving.

A few years back my friends and I noticed that one of the local clubs that has a website has not been updated sense 2009. We offered to update there page and information for free.

There response was, "You can only volunteer if you are a member of the club". There membership dues are $100.00 a year and then they put it to a vote whether they want you as a member or not.

What a joke, No thanks to any ham radio club, ARRL, or anything that I would have to pay for to be a part of ham radio.
    To talk on your radio is free unless you choose to pay someone.

8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are saying how great your club web site page is, maybe it is I didn't look at it.
    But I did look at your QRZ page and come on, is that the best that you can do?

Before you start bragging so much about your club page and how nice it is, you should do something about your QRZ page.

AE1N likes this.
  9. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And here you are, a premium subscriber to QRZ...a web based ham radio focused organization which you paid to join. :)

Some people find clubs and organizations personally useful and beneficial, and in some cases a way to give back to a community. Some people do not see the personal value in a club/organization experience. Everyone is free to follow their own path.

Thus far I've been mostly self taught by reading books & websites, and asking questions on forums; it has been trail and error. I also didn't see the value in joining a club. I didn't know how a club would personally benefit me, or what value I might add. But, now I have operated 1 year from my QTH shack, maritime mobile on my sailboat, remote QRP on islets in Canada, and now running a small rig in Vietnam (XV9WJR). I am still new and still learning. But, I do know at this time my thirst for practical knowledge requires more than what I can get from books or online forums. So, I do intend to join a club upon my return to ConUS because I have a lot of questions based on my notes/experiences. I am hoping other more seasoned and experienced members in the club will provide guidance and share their first-hand knowledge, or at least know the direction to point me. Online forums are valuable, but there is something about a real-time eyeball QSO that online forums such as this will never achieve.

N6QIC likes this.
  10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not read all the others , I belong to 4 clubs , and have been in many other hobbies and they all suffer the same issue .
    The answer is finding volunteers to what ever needs being done .

WA7WJR likes this.