Why the Lack of Web Presense/Responsiveness for Ham Radio Clubs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N2PPK, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Again, lack of volunteers. It's a catch 22. There are active clubs out there, but lots more that are just nominally in existence. You may have moved into an area where only the nominal ones are 'active'.

Sorry if this not the expected answer, but you may be that missing link. :oops:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You could start a club.

I did that years ago. Never charged for membership, But had tons of priceless fun.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would guess that for many radio clubs radio is the emphasis and not computers so unless they have a member(s) who also have a strong computer interest and are willing to take on developing and maintaining the site not much is accomplished.

K3UJ likes this.
  4. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I would sure hope that is the case... however, ensuring you have membership in the future relies on recruitment. Hard to do without a website these days.

N4FFL, N4AAB and K3XR like this.
  5. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, that's what I was expecting to hear. I've got the old club an hour away which isn't too bad, but it would be far easier to be active in events if there was a club closer.

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definately. The first thing I did when I was studying for my Tech, was to do a web search. That short list is what I went with. Some of them didn't show up on the ARRL 'look for a club' search page.

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A web page is not the only method of recruitment, while it can help, there are other methods in use. There are also other ways of finding clubs. Echoing XR, emphasis of the clubs is radio, not computers/programming. Not every club has someone who can or wants to do the job. As you mentioned it's not a one shot deal, on going maintenance is needed. So you need someone who's knows what they are doing, who's willing to give the time to do it.

8. KA3QLF

KA3QLF Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread has been an interesting read. I am a newer president of a small club, based in Scranton, PA, about an hour north of the OP. Many of the points made, I find to be true here. I wasn't very active in the club, I helped at Field Days, and other on air events, but typically my work schedule prevented me from attending meetings. when no one was stepping forward to take the position of president, I volunteered. I found the clubs website was outdated, the clubs QRZ page decades outdated. A few emails and phone calls and those items were taken care of quickly. As pointed out above, it takes the right people. Webmasters cannot make updates without the information. Hopefully you can and will find the right fit for you. Of course you're welcome to check out SPARK (Scranton Pocono Amateur Radio Klub) www.k3csg.org Vy 73, and see you on the air!! Scott, KA3QLF

W7UUU likes this.
  9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Recruit to maintain the web site? That is a joke, surely. I cannot imagine a better way than that to lose potential members. From 1st hand experience, it becomes a pain in the a$$ and no one helps and forget take it over. I live in an area with a pretty dense ham population. Just getting a 10% of the population to come to a meeting is astounding. Via the FCC ULS or QRZ, you can find everyone. Even sending out SASE you get low response.

After 4 years of my running the website and 2 asking for assistance, we finally found 1 guy that would take it over, but his level of upkeep is nowhere near the level that some hoped for. And, those "some", why don't they do it? Because they are lucky to read their fn' email much less find useful new information to put on a web site.

My personal experience, I might go to a meeting 3 or 4 times a year now.

N6QIC likes this.
  10. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

W3FHT likes this.