Why the Lack of Web Presense/Responsiveness for Ham Radio Clubs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N2PPK, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2PPK

N2PPK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About three months ago, I moved about an hour north. I'm still a member of my old club but am looking to get involved in a more local club, mostly due to proximity (I can no longer reach the old club repeater and meetings are an hour away).

I've found two clubs locally with websites. However, one website hasn't been updated since ~2015, and the other appears that it was designed in MS Word back in the 90's and all the links are from 2014-2015 or sooner, many of which are broken.

For a hobby that relies so much on experimentation and communication, it just seems odd to me that web presence is far from a priority. Or lack of communication for that matter. I've reached out to emails listed on the club sites and have only gotten a partial response from one, but did not provide the information I needed.

If a club isn't looking for new members, that's one thing. However, as some of these organizations claim to be ambassadors for the hobby, they certainly aren't doing that so well.

These days I have a hard time doing business with anyone that doesn't have a web presence. Same goes for extremely out of date websites.

What say you? Why is web presence such a low priority?

N4FFL likes this.
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had similar experience recently.
    Asked similar questions too.
    My fireproof attire did not do much for me.
    After a while I reached sad conclusion - not to get involved or discuss things you really cannot influence or change.

I'll check this thread later to see how the OP theme changed.
    I'll give it about 10 pages , tops.

My suggestion - do not waste your time and build your own "club" .

73 Shirley

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Our club site gets updated on a regular basis.
    What can I say...
    wa6bgs.us

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

My club has a new web site, and the guy who maintains it is a web designer.

Keeping a site unpdated is easy. I manage to keep my 12 web sites updated. Piece of cake.

But some folks just don't want to do it. There are sites you can create, using Word Press a blogging software, that is free and is easy to update. I use Textpattern myself. Its free to. Free as in no cost.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

7. N2PPK

Looks like you guys all have active clubs with websites that reflect that. My other club is very much active in that way.

However, it looks like in this part of Northeast Pennsylvania, internet just hasn't come around yet :)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do they still have farms there ?

Maybe they are working the farm. :)

Good Luck.

N2PPK likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

They need new members who volunteer to maintain the webpage, and put together the club newsletter, and send renewal notices, and organize monthly meetings, and answer prospective new members questions....

Then there is the internet, some may not agree, but forums such as this one, mailing lists, etc. did change the landscape for clubs.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

10. N2PPK

I would agree, though it's really hard to recruit new members when you don't advertise your existence at all!

N4AAB likes this.