ad: elecraft

Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The intelsat spec was 1hz error.

This would be trivial to implement with modern sdr technology.

Rege

NE1U likes this.
  2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Weird" is certainly the word for it.

"AM:ers" and "ESSB:ers" are quite few and far between here, but I have
    the same feeling that many if not most of them really are in for a "performance"
    and are very enamored in the sound of their own voices.

Monologue artists or opera divas come to my mind...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The majority of AM ops in the northeast U.S. are interested in quality, particularly since conversations can last for hours, with participants casually joining and leaving and some just having the receiver on while doing other things. It's the norm to use responsible bandwidth and maintain proper modulation levels. Distortion and hum are quickly chased down. None of this is a concern if simply exchanging callsigns and "5-9" with DX contacts, but that's where SSB excels anyway. I've never considered it a "fidelity mode" and the majority of SSB receivers have 3kc audio by default.

The rapidly growing popularity of Flex, Anan, and K7DYY rigs plus the home-made Class D and E transmitters are offering ops a wide range of audio options, and setting a good example is more important than ever. Many have repurposed MW and SW processors with strict peak control and bandwidth filtering.

There's a weekly net on Saturdays at 3885kc at 0830 (Eastern U.S.)/1230 GMT that demonstrates good operating practice.

It's easy to sound good without being excessive. All that's needed are role models.

KA4DPO and W1TRY like this.
  4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's the desire to get a compliment. Who doesn't like to hear "WOW, great audio, nice signal!!" once in a while? I'm in the belly of the AM beast up here and some of the AM guys on 3.885 have incredible audio and I know a lot of them are frugal yankees using technique over technology. Yes Clark @N1BCG, you're of them, always a great signal.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Any discussion about anything beyond basic contest exchange is a QSO. And you all know this, everyone does! LOL It does not have to be the 80m fillibuster of 50 years ago! Those also called QSOs.

Really it is. Included in that is eSSB as well as my term, nSSB (narrowed SSB). Experiment you dufus'. Get an SDR ... a radio with nearly continously variable bandwidth. There used SDRs that have been coming on the market that have predistortion. That is a blast to fit inbetween on going QSOs that are just a bit too close for 2.1 kHz.

Besides, unless you had a wart removed off your ear, what else is there to talk about with a bunch of OFs (am one also:cool:)

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I posted the wrong details for that net. It should be:

"There's a weekly net on Saturdays at 3875kc at 0800 (Eastern U.S.)/1200 GMT that demonstrates good operating practice."

Sorry about that. You may remove your yellow vests and return the pitchforks and torches to their storage bins.

7. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to ride the happy medium between "squawky hand mic with nothing but 1500hz midrange" and "6kc wide SSB". it's possible to build an audio stack and get really good, tight and strong audio into your rig rear panel input without breaking 3khz or even 2.8. I find that my external comp and EQ (always cut never boost!) and $15 dynamic mic on a boom give me about 50% more average power before clipping and ALC than the inboard radio compressor, which I always keep off. and as a barefoot op, that's the difference between "you're 59, number 2715" and "sorry no copy". Limiter's the real key.

Big gripe with the hifi gang here isn't the bandwidth, it's the fact that they all turn up the bass EQ about 12 dB to try to sound like Limbaugh or Bell, and mess with their radio settings to transmit as much low end as possible, often bringing some carrier in there. Don't mess about below 150hz (and if you do, again, cut, don't boost) and you'll be fine.

NE1U and N1BCG like this.