ad: M2Ant-1

Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

ESSB can sound good if it's done right. To take advantage of it, the receiver's local oscillator (BFO) must be adjusted precisely to the the transmitting station's (suppressed) carrier, with zero frequency error, which isn't always easy to do. Where the ESSB guys missed the boat was by not transmitting a pilot carrier, reduced maybe 15 dB but not completely suppressed, and using a PLL-controlled local oscillator at the receiver to lock into the pilot carrier. That's what AT&T used to do with their long-distance HF radiotelephone circuits.

Something I find amusing is ESSB signals with so much bass boost that the voice frequencies at the lower register dominate, and act like a BFO to demodulate the rest of the signal, so you can understand what the voice is saying listening with the receiver in AM (envelope detector) mode.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak to the regulations in your country, that's your business but clearly, our regulations encourage experimentation.
    In our regulations under Basis and Purpose, this may be found
    "(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art."

Have already commented in this thread that some of the enhanced audio sounds good and some is way overdone that applies to both SSB and AM.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting that in all the comments, not one person has indicated he uses or more important, why he operates eSSB. Im a strictly CW op so have no clarity on how pervasive this is but clearly, some people must or there would be nothing to criticize here.

I’d like to hear someone admit he does and explain why and to what purpose.

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The ham bands used to be wall to wall on 75 meters at night 15 years ago. Now it is wide open thus wide SSB signals are not an issue.

K4KYV likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No one uses it because it will cause Flame Wars. Unless you are in the AM portion of the band.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the way I do it.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW, a "satisfied soothsayer". :p

8. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, isn't it obvious?
    They are far too busy complimenting each other on good they sound to read this... :)

But seriously, I am all for good quality audio and maybe a bit more bandwidth if its not interfering with anyone else but my radio is incapable anyway.
    Its just the strange attitude that seems to go with it that I just don't get.
    You can tell, listening to them that they are not in conversation. Its a "performance" as they revel in the sound of their own echoey voice with its "big bottom".
    Heck, one UK station even has an angled mirror over his desk so he can watch himself "perform". Weird...

I was in stitches laughing one day as two of them tried to fault find as to why one had less bass with his amplifier on than with it off.
    They never did get that the super-high bass content was driving his amp into limiting, hence less bass.

Frank

9. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've listened to a few groups that continually struggle with the same basic audio topics such as how to interface balanced and unbalanced audio equipment, why that unbalanced piece of gear is introducing hum, who carries the ground in balanced audio, how to make audio pads, how to keep RF out of your audio chain.

Maybe some of these ops need to intern at an AM radio station for the summer.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing that they need to learn is proper termination.