Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many just want to use "Their" frequency.

Nets are a good example.

K5ABB likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That has a nice ring to it....I'm going to start saying "hertzly speaking". :)

WZ7U likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If there is a ring to it, turn the filter down.... :D

KD8ZMN and VK4HAT like this.
  4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Way back when intelsat used ssb fdm (frequency division multiplex) most of the 20,000 circuits we relayed thru the station in Etam WVa were "standard" 300-3000 Hz voice quality circuits.

We had a hand full of 300-15000 Hz circuits for broadcasters.

Stations like the VOA and BBC.

Don't let anybody kid you that ssb can't sound as good as any other modulation method.

Rege

NE1U and N0TZU like this.
  5. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Evil laugh....I opened a can o worms I see. 7 pages worth. My rig has a max 3 kc filter on SSB even though I can see how wide they are on the waterfall. Some of the guys sound pretty good in wide mode, even with that limitation. Others sound bassy and muddy. Some guys are running stuff like studio condenser mics. Well that is your choice but a less expensive electret is just as flat across the bandwidth even wide SSB can pass. 20- 16k flat is way overkill but maybe they use the mic on AM or podcasting or something, too. My rig can select W M N TX on SSB, but wide is nothing like what the computer rig guys can do. I stay pretty much mid, and narrow for pileups sometimes and try to keep it sounding clean. There is plenty of room for improvement in alot of rigs, especially very vintage types, regardless of bandwidth. I can get the fattest AM boys inside my filters though, to hear them broadcasting. And even with normal basic bandwidths, some guy's signals have broad shoulders on the display due to just non linearities or mistuning something that adds nothing, that is good old fashioned splatter.

6. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Strangely emotive subject, audio. Like criticising someones driving ability?
    But no-one yet has analysed why these stations run very wide SSB with a rack of audio processing.

My view is that they do it to deliberately cause conflict. To provoke a reaction.
    They like nothing better than to have someone criticise their signal which gives them an excuse to switch to psychopath mode and become abusive.
    There is no "experimentation" involved, which they always cite as to what they are doing.

I speak from personal experience of being on the other end of one of these guys after politely criticising his sub-bass exciter and reverberation, both of which I think detracted from his otherwise nice audio.
    I wasn't criticising his SSB bandwidth (about 8kHz) but that was enough to flick his switch and he immediately started the verbal abuse, criticising MY signal because it was less than 3kHz wide and trying to goad me into a confrontation. I QSY'd and left him abusing thin air.

Frank

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you found a sociopath, there, Frank. Just one with alot more money than most. Those without deep pockets still can find ways to annoy or abuse others with what gear they do have, no fancy techniques required. I would suspect the majority of hams going wide are just experimenting with the possibilities, unless they operate that way 100% of the time. In which case it might be an attention getting device. I was noticing another issue just this morning with ham audio. Long overdue for correction. Terrible audio on 2M FM. We should have had that one sorted out by the end of the 70s! Weak audio, too strong distorted audio, extraneous buzzing and and noises added by passing thru the repeater audio, etc. One local rptr around here is incredibly narrow and fuzzy sounding, and the subaudible tone is cranked up to audible levels, or something, most wretched sounding ham rptr. yet popular with many ops here. FM is a mode where you ought to be able to get your "hi fi" audio jollies, and sound broadcaster if you want. Yet rigs have crummy mics, are maladjusted in the audio stages, and I never heard of anyone trying a studio mic on FM. FM should be more inline with what some people are trying to obtain on SSB. I would think more potential for best audio results. But since 2M is a local audience, that might not be a big enough audience?

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On a lot of older rigs the transmit bandwidth is determined by a crystal filter, usually the same one used for receive, in transceivers anyway. I have never run a sideband signal in excess of 2.8 KHZ, mainly because there is no gain in intelligibility, at least none that I have ever noticed. My Drake T4X uses the stock 2.4 KHZ filters and I have never heard a single complaint about the audio. The idea that one must run a wide signal in SSB is, to me anyway, kind of a CB thing. The purpose of SSB is to make more efficient use of the available spectrum, not to splatter everyone 5 KHZ on either side of you.

Five KHZ AM signals with a little pre-emphasis on the high end sound very nice, and there is a place for them in every segment. If you want to have broadcast quality I suggest you try AM, assuming you have the technical know how that hams are supposed to have.

If you are a plug and play drugstore ham who just buys audio junk, and you think you are experimenting by running 5 or 6 KHZ wide SSB, do it on two meters, or at least 10 meters. There is almost 2 MHZ of bandwidth available to play in on two meters, and it seems to be underutilized anyway. Do your fellow amateurs a favor and keep sideband signals less than 3KHZ. We will all be better for it.:)

WA5VGO likes this.
  9. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to me that eSSB epitomises the old adage "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should".

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want broad audio, Just crank all knobs up until ALC is pegged out. o_O:rolleyes:

But that is not recommended.