Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure you can - one of the prime advantages of CW is the ability to make other stations ‘disappear’

KA4DPO, W7UUU, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Because all the skinny SSB is so yesteryear?

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way I can tell is when the signal splatters from what should be a long way away, hertzly speaking. I don't have a wide filter for SSB beyond what the rig does from the factory.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot. This is the forum for people to complain about self-inflicted problems.

6. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Predistortion is good stuff. I wish more rigs had the capability.

NE1U likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too.

"It's only software!" as the hardware guys say.

BTW I have two DSP rigs that can adjust TX BW at the simple turn of one knob and I can make it whatever I want. DSP is pretty "brick wall" filtering, so if you set to 2.100 kHz, you'll see nothing above and below that in the intended spectrum (IMD is a different story, there's always some).

My results after a few years of screwing with this is:

Wide BW (set to 3.5 kHz on SSB) results in more glowing reports of "Wow, what great modulation!"

Narrower BW (2.1 to 2.4 kHz on SSB) results in "getting through" to weak DX stations better.

But I've set it down to 1.8, 1.5, 1.2 kHz and actually it's still quite intelligible and people who don't care much about fidelity usually don't even comment on it.:p

Other than in contests, lately band condx are such that they're not nearly as crowded as during a sunspot cycle peak so there's almost no reason for any two QSOs to be within 3 kHz of each other. Or maybe even 5 kHz of each other, on SSB. I don't work 75m SSB at all, and know there's a zillion nets or pseudo-nets and such there (which is the main reason I don't bother) and everybody complains about everything.

But on the other bands, meh.

I still work 80CW, where nobody complains.:)

8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yeah ... good idea on a narrow band like 160 metrers too, where the voice portion of the band runs from 1.845 (new digi modes park in that area) to 2 MHz yielding about 155 kHz or so ...

Yes, there are ops taking up the practice there.

And when condx are good, your footprint on that band is just that much bigger.

Receiving your lower sideband when others are 6 kHz lower than you, makes this -

A. GOOD. IDEA.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an Anan SDR that lets me set brick wall tx filters. My typical ssb bandwidth is 75 to 3000hz. I will tighten it up if the band is crowded. I have experimented up to 10kc on a dead band.

For AM I run 8 to 10khz wide. On 75m it seems like running narrow bandwidth just invites someone to park even closer to you and ruin a good QSO.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

What I never could comprehend is when the band is lightly occupied and there are 5- 10 kHz of vacant frequency on either side of your ongoing QSO, and another QSO starts up 1.5 - 2 kHz away and then they proceed to complain about the "splatter" they are getting from YOU.

W2VW, N0TZU, K5ABB and 1 other person like this.