Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

did a little research... guess a lot of SDR users (Flex, Anan) can easily change their transmit bandwidth and choose to do so for the sake of "experimentation" ;)

The big 3 seem to lock their rigs down to < 3000hz - in reading other forums, this seems to be a nit-pick for the latest models (7610, 990, 5000).

As crowded as the phone portions of the bands seem to be, I'm not sure why anyone would need or expect more than the traditional 3kc... one guy was arguing for 10KC !! again, for experimenting with digi modes... o_O

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of it just sounds like they are talking with a plastic bucket over their head.

WQ4G, WZ7U and KA4DPO like this.
  3. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to widen your receive bucket filter to take it all in and get the full effect of lo-fi ssb.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah and listen using a wide filter (up to 16 KC here) through a big 12" speaker too right?

Yeah, I got all that. Some people just don't sound all that great.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like the transmit filter selection on the 7610. Wide is about 2.8kHz and hi-fi enough for a reasonable SSB signal. I go mid tx (~2.5kHz) when the band is crowded to give others room.

Answering the OP's question... "ignorance" comes to mind.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a matter of band congestion. To call CQ or enter into a QSO in a crowded band suggests that a narrower bandwidth is not only in order but sensible since others have probably tightened up their receivers and wouldn't hear the extended sidebands. Modern SDR rigs make this option easy with presets.

Conversely, if the band is lightly used with QSOs spread out then there's no issue with a higher quality signal as long as the other stations are receiving in that width, otherwise it's a waste.

The decision requires responsibility.

AI3V, WB1GCM and K4KYV like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"It all depends." Running at the middle setting can make your signal less tiring to listen to. However, as noted above, it will never be hi-fi even at "wide."

If you want to make SSB sound better, do it at the receive end. Bob Heil's parametric equalizer works. So do similar devices. As will a little mixer. ;)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

People that use that will piss off a bunch of radio operators.

Just like FAT32 did on NTFS computers.

Good Luck.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the enhanced audio on SSB sounds good. Some of it is way overdone and sounds much worse than the stock audio. By the way, the same can be said for some of the AM audio.

WA7PRC, W0PV and NL7W like this.
  10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have started a post about this three times. Had to delete them. Ignorance -can- be an acceptable excuse, but it can be cured. All it takes is some reading about standards. Getting people to do that reading (curing ignorance) ain't so easy. Listen to an average afternoon/evening of SSB voice on any band to see a good example.
    Why should I have to adjust my receiver (when it's correctly configured to start with) to make sense out of an incorrectly adjusted transmitter? I'm really tired of stupid audio.

K5ABB, WQ4G, AG5CK and 3 others like this.