ad: M2Ant-1

Why so much obsession with fat SSB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I notice that the newer rigs have the option to make a fat signal, on top of the distortions of mistuned transmitters and amps. Just was looking at the signal of a loud NCS that is shoehorned in between two other nets. His signal is 4 1/2 kc wide. I might be missing something but it seems that many signals are getting wider and taking up alot of spectrum nowadays. Some of it is guys wanting to sound like broadcasters on purpose(more BASS!) but sometimes the audio quality of the stations does not benefit much from the extra spread as compared to a clean 2.4 kc wide sig. Leads to alot of annoying splatter. "Sorry OM, I did not get that, a guy a few kc down is wiping you out...." exchanges are common now. I run my rig at the "medium" bandwidth or switch to narrow to try to bust thru to DX. My backup vintage hybrid has a bit of fat shoulders on the spectrum display but still not barndoor wide like the new rigs are set up by some people.

WQ4G likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the reason this is happening lately and wasn't happening 20 years ago is that all the DSP designs, which include pretty much every multimode rig manufactured today, allow you to do this.:p

The way to take advantage of the "hi-fi SSB" transmissions is to widen your receiver bandwidth a lot to match what's being transmitted; otherwise they can really sound like crap.:)

WA7PRC, WA8FOZ, W9RAC and 1 other person like this.
  3. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

People have the same problem running narrow bandwidth too. It's usually because someone thinks they own a frequency and have to defend it.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just add in the carrier, and the other sideband?
    Oh wait, that's AM. (where Hi-Fi belongs)
    Jon

KD8ZMN, AC8UN, WQ4G and 5 others like this.
  5. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi-Fi SSB is an oxymoron.

WA9SVD, W7ASH, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

With emphasis on the last two syllables

AJ4GQ, KD8ZMN, AC8UN and 1 other person like this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The other end of the spectrum (pun intended) is are the stations that narrow up their transmitted audio so much it is painful to listen to.

With everything, there is a happy medium.

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

so im not much into SSB so I'm going to ask a few noob questions to make sure I'm not contributing to the problem..

I'm running an icom 7610 and I have narrow/mid/wide transmit filters for my audio. I believe the max is 2900 which should keep me within the standard 3khc SSB width, right?

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

it's just a case of ignorant operators not knowing, or not caring about how their signals overlap others.

KR2C likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I rarely operate phone, in part becase of nonsense like this on SSB but I'd omit the "not knowing" part.