ad: portazero-1

Why So Many ICOM 7300 radios For Sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA3MOJ, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting topic at the last club meeting. Most IC-7300 owners were reporting that their clock batteries had died - permanently - and are not field replaceable. Apparently these little "rechargable" wonders fail if the radio is not powered from the 12V supply for a while and they discharge too deeply. Soldered in-place and difficult to replace, apparently. Did not cause other problems, but still a nagging defect. Something to be aware of if you are buying a used one.

K1OIK likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You thought the thousand dollar 7300 would perform like a fifteen thousand dollar radio? Guess that didn't work for you, huh? :p

VK6APZ, AG5DB, K3EY and 1 other person like this.
  3. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

A nice reply, but kinda irrelevant. His choice, as he stated, was between the Hilberling and the IC 7851. He decided he wanted better performance than the IC 7300 provided.

The IC 7851 costs a bit less than the Hilberling, but the price comparison is not $1000 vs $15000.

As is often the case when you spend more, the benefit of each additional dollar tends to lessen.

Both the Hilberling and the IC 7851 are high-end rigs. They perform very well with few, if any, significant
    flaws. Hams who are picky and have the pocket change available should be free to indulge their fancies.

And those who do buy high-end stuff are probably not hurting anyone else. There are a lot of billionaires
    around who like to spend millions here and there who are really not very nice people. They may deserve some kidding. Of course it's possible they will send someone to knock on your door in the middle of the night.

4. W4NNF

Irrelevance is in the eye of the beholder, OM. It's clear he expected top of the line performance from an entry level rig. The IC7300 does a fine job, is much liked and highly rated, but it's not a 15K radio. A classic case of misplaced expectations. :D

WD4IGX, K3EY and KN6CLP like this.
  5. KN6CLP

KN6CLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably not hurting anyone else? Did someone say or imply that he was?

And all of your points about billionaires begs the question: why did he buy an IC7300 in the first place? I have to agree with W4NNF, misplaced expectations.

WD4IGX and K3EY like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Do all those low buck Icraps have the same battery issue? I wouldnt own that brand anyway.

7. KE6EE

Apparently there are lots of IC 7300 buyers with misplaced expectations!

8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

$900 new is unheard of with all the features and performance. Just does not like very noisy environments. Most hams have reasonably quiet locations.

9. KE6EE

That's certainly news to me. Most of us live in cities and suburbs. I won't elaborate.

DK3TG turns out to be anything but naive. A retired university professor out of the hobby for 45 years.
    Returning to hamming, he bought an IC 7300. If I didn't have any strong feelings about current rigs and I
    was returning to ham radio after a significant lapse, I would also be tempted by the IC 7300. There is certainly
    a lot of enthusiasm out there, just as there seem to be lots of regrets.

I was away from hamming for nearly 50 years. When I got relicensed I kept my old perspective on ham gear:
    I wanted something I could assemble from a kit, that was reasonable in price and that was widely-accepted as
    high quality. I got an Elecraft K2 kit. Totally satisfying to build and to use. I've gone on but I still like to use
    my K2 on occasion.

There are many reasons people choose various kinds of gear. Some of the chief reasons I DO NOT choose
    certain gear: problematic performance in critical functions; overly complex menu system; difficulty in servicing
    by me; poor audio; just plain ungraceful physical design.

Each to his own. People deserve respect for having perspectives outside the groupthink.

K8AI and WD4IGX like this.
  10. W4NNF

Have you actually used one?