Why So Many ICOM 7300 radios For Sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA3MOJ, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The battery is easily replaceable if you know how to use a soldering iron. But even if it goes bad, you can still set the time and the rig will keep the clock current as long as it's connected to a live power supply--it doesn't have to be turned on.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom sold many IC-718's as an entry level rig which wasn't a bad little radio. The same thing is happening with the IC-7300.

I used an IC-718 for QRP operation on CW and PSK31. It had/has allot of bells and whistles for the price. But you can't compare it with the new Icom entry level rig, IC-7300.

3. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a new ham and have a 7300 that I bought after looking at the Yaesu 1200 and 3000. I’ve been using it for about 10 months and have pored over the full manual on my iPad and just bought ZL3DW's book. At this point, I think I know how to work the radio pretty well (although I do expect to figure out new things) and it is extremely capable. I've worked all states with 100 W on SSB, about 35-40 on CW and quite a few on 5 watts with a dipole. I'm probably up to 70 or so DXCC entities. Of course, my only experience with another radio was with a K1 running 5 watts on my deck, so I have no basis for comparison.

A couple of nitpicking points:

1. The screen is small
    2. There is only one notch
    3. An S unit is really only 3 dB on the meter, e.g., an S1 reading is really S5. This appears to be the way Icom calibrates them. I wish I could modify it to be 6 dB = 1 S unit.
    It would be surprising if there weren't better rigs on the market. How could you justify paying upwards of $12K for a radio if it weren't better than a $1,000 radio?

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For $1519 there is a far better radio. It is a Yaesu FTdx-3000.

VK6APZ likes this.
  5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah... don't worry about the S-unit being 3db. It's the same on most new rigs I've owned, in recent years. Only the old-timers get their panties in a wad over that. They've lost that game.

6. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow, I've learned to live with it, but it is like having a half an S-meter. Apparently the Elecraft radios use the standard S-unit.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  7. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

No way to disable the up-down buttons on the stock handmic.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Use a non-stock handmic :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA9SVD likes this.
  9. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using a HM-12 from one of my IC-38a's.
    Has the on-off switch on the back.
    Just feels a little clunky.
    Sounds good though.

10. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I.....must.....not.......respond.....

K1OIK likes this.