ad: ARR

Why So Many ICOM 7300 radios For Sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA3MOJ, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA3MOJ

WA3MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I searched this question on the forum, but did not find anything.
    I'm seeing more and more ICOM 7300's up for sale lately.
    I'm not sure why that is. This is a relatively new model and I was wondering
    if these radio's have any inherent "issues" with them.
    I understand hams like to try-out and change-out gear and radios, but this seems more than usual.

The 7300 is a menu driven radio, so there are not as many knobs and buttons as on larger chassis radios.
    One would need to "scroll" through several layers in the menu to make their inputs. Maybe that's it. (?)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They sold and are still selling a zillion of these radios. Its entirely logical that there are many on the used market.
    There's a lot of Toyotas on the used market too. That's not an indicator of anything wrong.

W4HM, KB2SMS, W5PFG and 6 others like this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/your-opinion-as-to-why-we-are-seeing-an-influx-of-ic-7300-for-sale.610426/page-1#post-4649143

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/why-are-hams-selling-their-ic-7300-s.557642/

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-7300s-for-sale.555112/

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ic-7300.537769/

Asked and answered. :)

K8AI, W5PFG, KY5U and 3 others like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 is probably the best selling rig in decades. The menus are simple and straight forward, similar to apps on a cell phone. But if you think the IC-7300 menus are difficult, then you sure as heck want to stay away from a Yaesu FT-3000.:D

There are a lot of them on the used market because they sold a huge number of them. There are a lot of IC-718's because they sold a huge number of them also. If you think they are being sold because there is something wrong with them then by all means, don't buy one. Get a Kenwood TS-180, they had lots of knobs.:rolleyes:

W9FL, K0UO and W4IOA like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a IC 7410 and there are very few of them for sale. But they only built and sold them for a short time IMO because they were disposing a pile of excessive leftover parts from the IC 7600 and defunct IC 746pro. It's a nice large radio with a nice large screen and a decent receiver but nothing fancy. I was going to get a TS 590s but they were pricey at the time and this was a swapmeet prize that the winner sold to me for a real good price since he had a 7600 and a Elecraft.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably for the same reason there’s a bunch of used Ford F-150s for sale - they made a ton of them and people are either upgrading or saying goodbye in favor of something smaller and cheaper (or in the case of the 7300, getting out of ham radio altogether).

N3HQN and K0UO like this.
  7. WA3MOJ

8. WA3MOJ

It seems the shear volume of 7300's produced plus factoring everyone's particular needs and wants,
    is why there are so many for sale on the used market.

So what would be a fair price in today's used market for a 7300 in decent condition?

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That won't help; I like your reasoning though. Any excuse to get something new is a valid assumption.
    John
    K4AGO

KD8ZMN likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO, KJ4VTH, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.