Why should I want a hotspot?

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by K9ASE, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep reading reviews about Jumbo spots RFspots,Nano spots etc.
    I understand the premise of using a hotspot with a computer or phone,but what do I gain by using one for radio?

MM3ENM likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

as far as I can tell, nothing. A Hotspot is just another Internet portal.... and they are everywhere. In my view, they are like "Smart Coffee Makers", Wif-Fi Enabled refrigerators, and other such "Internet of Things" sort of devices. Essentially, they are gadgets-for-gadget's-sake.... and don't bring a lot of real substance to the party.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get the impression that some of these "hot-spots" are pre-configured to make it easy to do UHF-VHF digital modes? If so, then it may just be a matter of convenience. Or there may be more to it. Hopefully someone here will enlighten us, maybe even in plain English.

I only use a hot-spot "for radio" in two ways. When I am mobile and I need to spot myself, it is easier to do so with the laptop than the cell phone, so I turn on the cell phone's hot spot and use the laptop. And at home, when my regular satellite-based internet goes out ( dark cloud in just the right direction ) I can create a hot spot from my cell phone and continue to have internet access.

Hot spots don't offend me. Gadgets that can be connected to the internet also don't bother me, as long as they don't demand to be connected ( or even worse, if they connect all by themselves ). I recently had a new programmable thermostat installed for my dual-fuel heat pump. The next day a red light came on and displayed ALERT and it "demanded" to be connected to the internet. Not going to happen. Besides, it is rude.

MM3ENM likes this.
  4. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, would a "coldspot" be more to your liking?

MM3ENM and K9ASE like this.
  5. K9ASE

Already had one.:D

coldspot.jpg

W7TCT, K5CWO, K3XR and 6 others like this.
  6. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I
    I am not familiar with all hotspots, but the hotspots I have used require the digitized voice to be AMBE encoded and decoded. I have seen dongles that have AMBE chips in them, but I don't think you will find them in hotspots. The radio with an AMBE chip provides the AMBE encoding and decoding.

I used one to learn how DMR networks worked. I don't use one now as I have a DMR repeater.

Mark N5RFX

MM3ENM likes this.
  7. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there's some confusion over wi-fi hotspot vs. digital radio hotspot (I may be wrong). A digital radio hotspot connects your digital radio to the internet. Handheld sends RF signal to digital radio hotspot, hotspot sends the signal via the internet to other hotspots, those hotspots convert it back to RF and into the receiver's digital radio. This allows your HT radio to cover the entire world (with the help of the interwebs). Having your own hotspot is great if you don't have a digital repeater in your area, or they are really busy.

MM3ENM likes this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I'd have to have an external antenna to do DMR from the house -- or spend a lot of time standing in the yard. And the repeater I can hit may not have the talk groups I want to use. I can hit my hotspot from anywhere in the house on low power, for any talkgroup I want, and not worry about bad audio. And I believe, although I have not set it up, I can get on System Fusion or D-Star with my DMR radio.

KF5RHI, MM3ENM and K9ASE like this.
  9. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a DMR hotspot, and find it very useful. I'm really a HF operator, but DMR is a good community builder. We have a pretty lively group of users where I live. I got a 'cheap-as-chips' Jumbospot, and sometimes have it running in my pocket when I go for a walk. Some say that it's not real radio, but it has its uses.

K9ASE likes this.
  10. K9ASE

I just looked at a Youtube video for the Jumbo Spot.
    The guy had it hooked up to small solar cell talk about a repeater in your pocket.