Why power limits?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by W8AAZ, Oct 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I up front will tell you I don't operate or do much besides occasionally tune in NDBs on LF bands. Noise and real estate space. I was just looking at a notice about new techniques for these bands down low and noted the extreme limits on ERP imposed on experimenter hams. Now I understand that generating very much ERP at those freqs is pretty difficult to begin with, using practical antennas. But usually there is some sort of justification for low power limits in that it is protecting other services from interference. My question is, Who are they protecting? I thought those frequency ranges were considered obsolete for most users in the 21st century. And you are not exactly adjacent to anything that I know of, down there, very closely? Or did they just decide to handicap you so that the "challenge" was greater? (LOL).

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-opens-...nds-stations-must-notify-utc-before-operating
    “Amateur stations will be permitted to commence operations after a 30-day period, unless UTC notifies the station that its fixed location is located within 1 kilometer of Power Line Carrier (PLC) systems operating on the same or overlapping frequencies,” the FCC said. PLC systems are unlicensed. “This notification process will ensure that amateur stations seeking to operate [on 630 or 2200 meters] are located beyond a minimum separation distance from PLC transmission lines, which will help ensure the compatibility and coexistence of amateur and PLC operations, and promote shared use of the bands.”

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it interesting that PLC is a non licensed operation and amateur radio is licensed, yet we have to protect them. Of course, they were there first. Especially interesting in that we have little or no protection from interference when their high voltage lines radiate trash. (not talking about arcing, which can be fixed)
    Tom WA4ILH

AC0OB and K6CLS like this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Utilities use that unlicensed PLC technology to control switchgear and keep the power grid operating properly.

I can understand that there are more members of society who rely on the proper operation of the electric grid than there are who rely on Amateur communications via the LF bands.

PU2OZT, W7UUU and N0TZU like this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they need to become a legitimate LICENSED body and protect that so called "public interest".

W1BR and AC0OB like this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Licenses are not normally required for unintentional radiators. But their real problem is that the same power lines that cause them to unintentionally radiate also cause them to unintentionally receive. I can't imagine the FCC licensing unintentional receivers any time soon.

N8AFT likes this.