ad: Schulman-1

Why not use "eQSL "

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by WA4FKR, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB8WFH

KB8WFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually use eQSL occasionally for non-DX contacts that also use eQSL when it would be nice to have one of their cards. I really do like cards from everyone I have a QSO with, but its rather impractical most of the time. Getting an eQSL and printing it out on cardstock work just fine and I get the paper card, no postage spent! Hey, it’s fast enough for me, as I use a computer logging application that send the contact I make right to the web site, no trouble at all.

However, I don’t use it when I REALLY want the card (say for an award or because its an unusual contact or something like that) and I rarely use it for DX. When it’s DX, I do it by the Bureau and DX is a case where I do usually want the paper. But in appropriate circumstances, eQSL can save time and money.

I also think it needs to evolve a little. It needs to be digitally secured and accredited somehow. Public key encryption would be a simple and effective way to do it. More seamless integration with other software is nice also. But that will come in time.

If some folks are not into it, well then hey, that's ok to. I'll send my cards by eQSL or on paper.

Matt, KB8WFH

2. W5NIG

W5NIG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not overly fond of it, mostly because I like sending and recieving the cards in the mail. I have recieved a fair number of eQsl's so far and I send both an e-card as well as a snail-mail card in return.

My biggest gripe about eQsl isn't the fact that it's not a 'real' qsl but the lame software;

I had recieved quite a few and figured that I would make it easy on myself and just upload my log. The software sent out cards to everyone in my log reguardless of wether or not I had it already flagged as done in the log. Ug.

So now anytime I get an eqsl card I have to fire up the logging software and make sure that I haven't already recieved a 'Real' card in the mail so I don't accidentally print this e-card up on the printer.

I think the second biggest reason I like snail mail cards is that it makes checking the mail fun again! (well besides waiting for QST every month, hi hi)

...then there will be (later down the line when I have enough contacts) the hassle of trying to figure out which cards in the log are 'mail' and which are 'email' when I get around to doing the award thing. Guess I need to send the author a few bucks and ask him to put a radio button in there so that it will sort out the 'e-cards' sent from the mail cards when it's figuring your WAS etc.

Ah, the joys of hamming! [​IMG]

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Harry, it is not just the ARRL, none of the major award sponsors will take eQSL cards.

Actually, there may be a number of newly licensed amateurs, or those who just passed their CW portions and can operate on HF, that just might need Missouri for WAS or something similar.

I am surprised at the number of DX stations that need Collin County, Texas, for various awards. The amateur population in absolute numbers is either 5th or 6th in the State of Texas. There are a number of others, especially 6 meter contacts, that need it as well.

Glen, K9STH

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Electronic QSL's are fine if ALL you want is the convienence of saving a bit of time, postage, and getting 'markers'.

But for most of us (me included&#33[​IMG] the REAL enjoyment of the hardcopy 'via the snail mail' paper QSL is wrapped up in the totally INTANGIBLE concept of actually HAVING something tangible and personalized with the human factor. Human factor in that you KNOW was handled by another human being and represents about the ONLY tangible link you have with what you did.

A QSL that comes via the snail mail USUALLY has a far greater value than one 'just printed out on the printer'. Sure, it may serve the same purpose but it DOES NOT have the same value, worth, or impact as does getting it in the mail or having it handed to you during a live 'eyeball QSO'.

I have lots of cards that I have stored away and will drag out every once in a while to enjoy looking through them. The pleasure comes from seeing the variety of the cards.. reading the notes and comments scribbled on the back, enjoying the fact that what I hold in my hand is something that actually CAME from whatever area/location/place I talked with.

a 'printed on your own printer' card can't match that at all. Again.l. NOTHING against printing out cards.. if that is your bag an dyour enjoyment! Have at it.

But substitute electronic QSL's for paper? UH UH. It may happen one day.. but hams will STILL send and receive 'em and they will STILL want to do it NO MATTER what current technology presents.

Everyone has their own reasons WHY paper QSL's are desired. While the reasons vary.. the intangible 'human component' is always in there speaking loudly and clearly.

Chuck K3FT

5. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the eqsl website
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">©Copyright 1998-2003 eQSL.cc. The names eQSL.cc, QSLCard.com, QSLCards.com and the respective logos are trademarks of eQSL.cc. All rights reserved. No part of this web site may be reproduced, duplicated, printed, copied, or downloaded without permission.
    Patent Pending on most aspects of the eQSL.cc technology. If you find another online QSL card exchange similar to ours, let us know. It is probably infringing on our patents.
    eQSL.cc has no control over the accuracy of logs supplied by the users of this system. Under no circumstances shall eQSL.cc be liable for any damages caused by your use of the information collected in this system. In particular, no warranties are expressed or implied with regard to information contained herein.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That is why not...

6. N0PU

N0PU Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ May 15 2003,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Harry, it is not just the ARRL, none of the major award sponsors will take eQSL cards.

Actually, there may be a number of newly licensed amateurs, or those who just passed their CW portions and can operate on HF, that just might need Missouri for WAS or something similar.

I am surprised at the number of DX stations that need Collin County, Texas, for various awards.  The amateur population in absolute numbers is either 5th or 6th in the State of Texas.  There are a number of others, especially 6 meter contacts, that need it as well.

Glen, K9STH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    STH:

I don't know WHY I get into these discussions...
    I'm not a paper collector...

I am an experimenter and Homebrew freak...

I have no paper and have never had the desire to go after any paper... Actually, I don't even like yakking on the radio much... It is simply a method of legally testing theories for me... 90% of what I do is into a dummy load...

You are of course right... There are those who chose to buy a rice box and chase paper... More power to them...

But if they are gonna chase paper then follow the paper rules... If the rule for the paper they want is 'no eQSL' then that ends the matter...

If I chose to not issue paper that is my choice and I have no obligation to follow YOUR paper rules...

What makes the paper thing so silly to me is that I haven't been on HF for over 5 years except for occassional tests of some equipment I'm building and I still get QSL cards from Hams who claim to have had a QSO with me... Some JAs, a couple Gs and some domestic...

If I were willing to go to the expense and waste the time I would be willing to bet that I could watch the DX bulletins, pick out a few hundred common DX stations, mail them QSL cards and end up with DXCC without ever going on the air...

I am gonna stay out of these paper arguments... I am gonna stay out of these paper arguments...I am gonna stay out of these paper arguments... hehehehe...

7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Harry, I don't send out paper QSLs much at all any more, and eQSLs never so far, at least in terms of initiating them. If I work someone and they send me a card, I'll get around to sending them one sometime. I am not an awards freak, but I have quite a number of them from over the years. Unless one is trying to stay on the DXCC honor roll, once one reaches over 300 countries worked, the excitement just isn't there any more!

That is one of the problems with having been licensed for well over 4 decades, at one time or another, I have tried just about everything there is to try. Thus, I &quot;flit&quot; around from VHF to UHF to 160 meters, to whatever! AM, FM, CW, SSB, ATV (wideband, never got interested in SSTV), RTTY, homebrewing, antenna building, etc., I have done one heck of a lot! As such, I run hot and cold on what I am doing at any one time.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.