ad: TIDrad-1

Why not use "eQSL "

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by WA4FKR, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4FKR

WA4FKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do a lot of hams not like to use "eQSL" on the internet to send QSL cards? Jerry

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The primary reason is that none of the major awards sponsors accept eQSL confirmations.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to prevent someone from very easily "faking" a QSL. It can be done using the paper type, but it is much easier for the people who check the QSL cards for awards to catch the fakes. Years ago, I was one of the persons who could check for the CQ WAZ award, and you get a "feel" for what is right and what is not. Fortunately, the vast majority of people then did not "fake" the cards. But, in today's world, I believe that there is a much larger, although still small, percentage of people who would "fake" something just to have the award on their wall. This is why the major awards sponsors do not accept eQSL cards.

Glen, K9STH

3. KE6MLF

KE6MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Cause I want the wallpaper - the qsl card itself!

I think it is neat to have a wall covered with the great cards and pictures of the people who I have talked to. I could care less about any actual awards.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Wall? Who has a wall? Sure wish I had some wall space. I would put a picture of VANNA on it! TOM

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I don't like eQSLs.  It takes as much time to fill one out as it does a paper one and drop it in the mail.  Yeah, call me a traditionalist.

Second, I don't like their copyright and patent statements on their web site.  It may be a patentable idea, but only barely.  I object to sites that use GPL or free software for concepts like this, and then have the unmitigated gall to start tossing around patents and copyrights on lame ideas.

It's ok to use the work of others, but there's hell to pay if someone thinks of doing the same thing.  Even if they probably had the same idea concurrently or before.

And lastly, this whole concept is a setup for a pay-off down the road.  Doesn't cost anything to send cards, but just wait, y'all will rue the day when they suddenly hold out their hand and want $20 a month to retrieve your cards.  I've been around on the Internet one heck of a long time not to see this one coming.  If you don't believe me, why do you think they are so protective of their "idea"?  They want to hook you in and when they're established, stick it to ya.

(You heard it here first)

6. AB2KT

AB2KT Ham Member QRZ Page

Two problems.

(1) It's a cumbersome design. Just like early cars being designed to look as much as possible like horse-drawn carriages. Secure authentication of QSOs can be accomplished much more simply, and transparently, by a thin application layer around existing software.

Also, why should it be centralized? The ARRL LoTW system looks like a step in the right direction, but it's centralized too, I believe. No reason the whole system couldn't be run P2P.

(2) The programming is suspect. For example, I always run my browser with JavaScript disabled, to inhibit popups. eQSL.cc always chokes on that, and reports a "cookies disabled" error, when that's not the problem. Cookies *are* enabled, it's JavaScript that isn't, and their software is confused.

You have to wonder what other kinds of elementary errors are lying in wait elsewhere in their system.

Frank
    AB2KT

7. NM7TM

NM7TM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bah! Just do it via paper, or email with authentication; PGP would work just fine.

9. N7TYB

N7TYB Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO..

It's because someone else beat the almighty ARRL to the punch.

You can bet if the LotW would have come out first, it would have been embraced, advertised as the next best thing to sliced bread.

But,  because someone else did it first,  its evil and to be avoided at all cost.

N7TYB

10. N0PU

N0PU Guest

I don't understand the problem...
    If you just want the qsl card then get a color printer, view the qsl card on the screen and print it out...

If you are chasing ARRL awards then follow ARRL rules...

I like the idea of putting the expense of collecting the cards on the person DOING the collecting...

Nobody needs another card from Missouri, so I'm not worried about mailing any out.... want my QSL for YOUR wall...print it out... from eQSL...

Sounds easy to me...

See the major problem here is there are a BUNCH of American stations who think everyone really WANTS their card... Somehow they got the idea that their card has value...

I think they need to get over that first, then they can address the rest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.