Why no thread on propagation?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that we actually have some propagation, I think the Zed needs a propagation forum. How do we get one started?

N3RYB, KI5WW, ITAL7 and 4 others like this.
  2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Crank up your 4x 3-500Z tomorrow.
    I'll be listening 3920 kc after close of AP net.
    We can talk propagation.
    Tough night on Motley, struggled for an hour: alternated calling for check ins and sets of a dozen push-ups. Will be sore tomorrow.

N1VAU likes this.
  3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

We've always had propagation. It comes in many different forms depending on frequency, time of day, weather, non-earthly activities (from the ionosphere top on out :)), and probably a host of other things.
    Most likely, a propagation forum would have to be split up into sub forums for specific frequency ranges such as LW, HF, VHF, UHF, SHF, etc.

And we have the solar-terrestrial data here on the QRZ home page:

[​IMG]

And, if you're into aurora type propagation or wonder why the sky has swirly green type clouds when you look up, there is the aurora forecast map:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    AC0OB and KA9JLM like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had not really paid much attention to it till I saw this thread, but I am now surprised to find that there is no forum here dedicated to propagation... It is one of the most important topics as far as ham radio is concerned and I agree that it merits its own forum!

Martin (G8FXC)

WA4KCN likes this.
  7. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation forum?

Keeping an eye on «How did you radio today (CW)» tells me that, if I had greater antennas, I could possibly have been the Br contact of said QSO, said band, and so on.
    Not much about propagation than what we manage.

Also, how many here willing to buy PropLab Pro? either taking a scientific matter seriously or be poised to yet another youtube video on FT-8 as a statistical ersatz.

That said, if you could incite Br HaMz to pound their keys not only during contests, and all kinds of stations, to copy non-powerful sigs, any hour, I'd have a brighter mood :) in 2022, HNY.

Oliver

DM2TT likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like Improppergation.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can’t have a forum without something to argue about. So, what do we argue about ? Is propagation good or bad? Do new hams deserve propagation? Was more propagation taken away from Advanced class during solar cycle minimums and was that unfair? Lecture everyone 24x7 in multiple threads on what propagation was like in 1951? Do you even need propagation if you operate FT8? How many ways can you misspell it - propagation or propogation or propicasion? All CAPS ?

WA4SIX, W4LJ, K6GP and 12 others like this.
  10. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

High time for a woke-propagation thread, all-inclusive, yes, Hellschreiber! that might have been used by who you know.
    The rest of my lifetime isn't enough to express all my contrition, not many apologizing solar-cycles left, I'm afraid.

Oliver