ad: Schulman-1

Why no current 220mhz Icom radios?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KZ6TOD, Apr 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the FT-311RM, did add the PL tone board, all 220 repeaters here use tones. Yes, It's been a great radio. The reversible screen angle is pretty cool.

I have an Icom IC-37A, I would advise against one with the known issues with the. Pots and screen.

As a fan of 220, another "old" radio to watch for is the Kenwood 621-A 144/220, IMO.

Or just get the Alinco 235, the best sounding rig on the local 220MHz net uses one.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

EDM:

The 1.25-meter band is harmonically related to the original HF bands. If you multiply 28 X 8 the result is 224. Now, crystals / VFOs for the HF bands do not multiply directly into the band as much as they do for 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. But, none of the 6-meter and 2-meter bands even come close!

Before World War II, the old 5-meter and 2.5-meter bands, as well as the 1.25-meter band, were all harmonically related to the lower HF bands. However, when the 5-meter band was replaced with the 6-meter band, and the 2.5-meter band was replaced with the 2-meter band, those bands were not harmonically related. But, 6-meters and 2-meters did become relatively popular.

Glen, K9STH

AJ5J and N1WVQ like this.
  4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

A little secret but don't tell anybody; a certain high gain co-linear vertical antenna speced for 146/440 band will actually load on the 223 band with the same low SWR.
    Found out using an Analyzer, then later looked at it with a VNA that showed the same.
    I use the FT 311M on the antenna 30 watts full power without any issue.
    Look on R&L website for their highest gain 2/440 base offering.
    It's not super quality, is low cost and does the job when the joints are sealed up with tape to keep the water out of the matching network. Been in use for 3 years.
    I use a Triplexer on my KW 2000 and get the 311 into the act for all 3 bands FM on one antenna and with decent gain.
    The Triplexer has very good isolation between bands. 222 311 radio in Rx does not know power is being applied on another band.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

My second transverter was from 28 to 220MHz. I later converted it to go from 142 to 222 MHz. I also built a 222MHz 10 watt SSB/CW radio. Techs in the USA are allowed to build their own gear.

Zak W1VT

The first transverter I built was from 7 to 1.8MHz.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Transverters and transmitting converters are definitely one way of getting on the 1.25-meter band. My first SSB / CW equipment for that band was a home-brew transmitting converter with a 6939 tube in the output plus an Ameco CN converter for receiving (I actually have several of these converters for the band). My present equipment for 222 MHz is a Hallicrafters HA-2 2-meter transverter that I modified to the band. I do have one of the Ramsey low noise preamplifiers in the receiving chain.

The Ramsey preamplifier works pretty well. Unfortunately, Ramsey went out of the kit business several years ago. I do have one of their 432 MHz preamplifiers that is used with my 432 MHz transverter.

Like VT, I built a 160-meter transverter with a 40-meter i.f. that I use with one of my Collins S-Lines.

Glen, K9STH

7. KB3LOM

KB3LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered a Yaesu VX6 that has 220 capabilities, and I believe I have one repeater within range. Two more if I try harder. I have no clue how active they are, if at all.

8. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

name and model of antenna?

9. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

R& L Electronics for their longest Co-Linear model JTB- 1B 2M/70 cm . Tape up the joints to keep water out.
    Triplexer, Diamond MX-324 or Comet CFX 324. VNA check shows the Diamond to be a bit better on the units I tested, but both work very well.

NK8I likes this.