ad: Radclub22-1

Why no confirmations?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KI5OMM, Nov 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're paying for the trip just like I pay for a loaf of bread regardless of where that money comes from. That's not "losing money".

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The "losing money" he alludes to is in the context of going on a DXpedition to make money, or at least to have it paid in full by the "deserving", as some seem to think it's the case nowadays.

We can never say never, there may be isolated cases, none that I know of, of people making money or fully offsetting the cost of their "vacation" on the back of the "deserving".

DXpeditioners are always paying a major share of their "vacation" costs. I'm inclined to believe that if we did not have people willing to spend that kind of money - yes, it's their hobby as well and they do it of their own choice - that we would not have as many DXpeditions as we do.

No disrespect to people activating entities like Aruba or Bermuda, but I'm referring to entities like Bouvet, Peter I, etc.

KP4SX likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely correct. The more you get into DXing the more valuable it is. If you keep an electronic log you should upload all contacts to Club Log and LoTW. You might not see the value of it right away. But when you get to the point that you really could have a use for it, it will be there for you.

4. VA3VF

Two ClubLog "benefits", but there are others:

1) Pre-filled OQRS data;
    2) Off-site backup for your log.

AB8MA and PU2OZT like this.
  5. KP4SX

How do you download a complete copy of your log?

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Log into your Club Log account then click on <callsigns> See the option to download an ADIF.

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. KP4SX

There's another step in there somewhere but I found it anyway. I clicked on my foto/avatar to get me to the page.
    Thanks. I had asked the question in the past and nobody revealed the secret :)

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. VA3VF

Yes, I was adding that step when I saw your post. For the benefit of others...

Log in, on the home (main) page select settings, then callsigns, then download ADIF.

One can have multiple logs under different callsigns or variations of one's callsign in the same ClubLog account. Very nice.

9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I also struggled the first time I intended to work with data on ClubLog. Being an occasional user, I still rediscover the process each time.
    Quite confusing, to browse ClubLog, but I understand gonna be more useful once I put up a REAL antenna and DXing for true.

Oliver

10. K5GS

K5GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on some recent projects, the Unique call sign to OQRS request ratio is closer to 19% - 21%, at least for the ones I looked at. The number of fee based OQRS QSL card requests is dropping like a rock compared to when I started DXing.

Maybe 50% before LoTW and OQRS and earlier? Today's confirmation technologies have changed the way people confirm DXpedition contacts, fewer direct cards - more reliance on free LoTW and/or the buro.

Cheers,
    GS K5GS