ad: elecraft

Why no confirmations?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KI5OMM, Nov 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole Dx expedition thing. Why go to all of the trouble and expense to travel to some exotic locale to rack up DX contacts from across the world, and then never confirm them? So far I have multiple contacts with three different expeditions and not a single confirmation from any of them. Just crickets

2. KM8V

KM8V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can check on clublog for many of them and request it via OQRS, or sometimes a different site. Their QRZ profile likely gives you the details on how to get a confirmation.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Correct.

What, exactly, were the DXpeditions?

Some only confirm if you go to their Clublog (or similar) website, check that you want a confirmation, and follow the instructions carefully.

4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You usually have to pay to play. As KM8V mentioned they usually list where to send the money.

Otherwise just wait. They'll usually send out the confirmations to the cheapskates (like me) before a year is up.

5. KM8V

Yup, this. DXpeditions are expensive, and I'm impatient, so I'm usually happy to kick them a few bucks for a card and a lotw confirm.

6. KI5OMM

The three contacts were 3D2USU (Fallen King Activity) HD8R in Galapagos islands, and 7P8RU in Lesotho. I don't use clublog. I guess I need to?

7. KM8V

Check their QRZ pages and they will give you all the details you need.

KP4SX likes this.
  8. KI5OMM

I'll check them out. Thanks!

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Expedition is ongoing. They have 100K + contacts so far. OQRS hasn't opened yet.
    http://www.dxfriends.com/hd8r/oqrs.php
    Looks like they are begging 2 bucks for an LoTW confirmation unless you want to wait a year. Sigh.
    I'll send them $5 and get a paper card and LoTW.
    QRZ confirmation? Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If DXing is something you enjoy, a free ClubLog account is worth it.

As for the operations you mentioned:

3D2USU - US$5 for a 4 page QSL card, and LoTW upload. No free LoTW upload or buro cards ever. Use ClubLog OQRS.

HD8R - EU$2 for LoTW upload only. EU$5 for a QSL card and LoTW upload. Full free LoTW upload after 1 year. Not using ClubLog OQRS, they have their own site. No info on buro cards.

7P8RU - US$4 for QSL card and LoTW upload. I think full free LoTW upload after 6 months, but I'm not 100% sure. Buro cards for free. Use ClubLog OQRS.

I don't care about QSL cards as much as I do for a LoTW match. I like the LoTW only option at a lower cost HD8R is offering. I hope it catches on.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021