ad: Schulman-1

Why Johnny Can’t Learn Code

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0HFL

KC0HFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am not lazy or stupid at least hope not I have been in the Airforce for 18 years and have had to to things I did not like but done them. I do however want to learn code so I can upgrade. 3 times I have started to learn and quit after a month of daily sessions here is the deal individual letters I hear send more than one at a time game over.I just can`t seperate the dit dah sound it all runs together. I have a hearing exam every year due to the fact I work the flightline and recieve a lot of noise. My hearing has suffered and what the doctors call my baseline is lowered every year dueto high frequency hearing loss and a delay problem caused by the high DB of running jet engines. I guess my point is not all of us are lazy but how can we learn no one wants to fail any ideas lets stop the fued and help each other.

2. KE6TNM

KE6TNM Ham Member QRZ Page

As usuall in this conversation several people have come up with the "lazy" or "not trying hard enough" oppion. Though I am dyslexic and have told people this I still get this, which I find quite insulting.

Dyslexia is caused by a gene carried by 20% of the population. Most of them have not been diagnosed by the schools, they have just been writen off as bad students though they are actually very intelgent. The problem is that they simply process information differently than a normal person. Since schools are setup for "normal" people they have to work harder than others all the way through.

So 20% of the population does have a legitmate reason why they have trouble with morse code. This information is readily available on the internet if anyone would like to verify it for themselves.

In the interest of promoting some understanding here is another thought. I have found that many dyslexics have a talent with computers, in my office 95% of our computer techs are dyslexic. This means there is a good chance the person that is able to come in and solve a computer problem that you just couldn't understand is a dyslexic.

So the next time you are frustrated with your computer for hours trying to understand what is going on, think about the person that is looking at the morse code the same way. Would you appricate being called "lazy"? I know there is the temptation to say "morse code is easier", but the reverse is true for me. The computer is easy, morse is hard. Personally I try to keep this in mind when I am trying to help a "normal" person learn the computer, a little understanding the other way would be nice.

3. KC0MIA

KC0MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. If I were timid I'd be scared off by some of the postings I've read. Such passion over such a (to me) miniscule topic! I want to be a ham, so I have to take a test. Hope I have what it takes to pass. If not, maybe I'll have to look in the mirror instead of complaining to others to have the rules changed to suit me. If I don't pass, I'll have to stay off the air, just like taking a driving test. Last week I decided I want to be a ham, so I bought Gordon Wests book and read it cover to cover two days ago twice. Yesterday I passed 15 consecutive QRZ sample tests, so I think I have studied and prepared myself enough to take and pass the Tech test this Saturday. If not, it's back to the drawing board if I choose to try again...Next step will be to study and pass the simple code test. Hope I have what it takes to pass that. If my learning disability, distraction due to other life activities or other hinderance prevents me from passing the code test, maybe I should look in the mirror instead of whining to others. I hate code, and don't plan to use it. I also believe it is outdated, outmoded and ready to die. However, I recognize that the current rules require it, so I will try to learn it. And for good measure, just in case those "old timers" are right (they sure have been right in the past, so I listen to their input), and code might be useful in an emergency, I will try to learn it not at 5 wpm, but at 12 or 15. Maybe, just maybe, code will be just like spinach was when I was a kid -- I just knew that I hated it and would never eat it, but now I kind of enjoy it. Maybe code will be like that, or maybe not. Either way, I can choose to try to pass the test or not. If not, I'll stay on the bands I can stay on, and happily. No complaining, no sour grapes. I am 40 years old, have a family and plenty of interests outside of electronics and radio. This will, I hope, be a fun hobby for me, just as others are. If successful, I plan to concentrate on ENJOYING the priveleges that I choose to earn and/or am capable of earning . Perhaps code will be abolished some day, perhaps not. Even though I don't like code, many others do, and I would hope they would be able to indulge their passion even if it was no longer a requirement. My opinion, like all rules, will never make EVERYONE happy. Whether or not it is required in the future to advance in priveledges in the ham ranks is irrelevant to me. I'm going to give it my best and hopefully start enjoying a new hobby. In that spirit, this will be my first and last post on code --I'm going to go study the blasted stuff to see if I can pass the test because I have to if I want HF. 73 and hope to talk to you soon one way or another. JR

4. KC0MIA

KC0MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I passed the test! JR

5. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] Congratulations JR 73 Roy WA4DOU

6. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

WE can debate the methods, causes and cases where the code can't be learned until the end of the world . However in this day and age only one thing is aparent to me. With the political climate in the world today ,WHATEVER you want, whether a no code ham license or a new car, whatever it is , IF YOU WAIT LONG ENOUGH then someone in the government will figure out how to GIVE it to you. For free without WORKING for it, just hang around and it will be yours!

7. KG4QBL

KG4QBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey,

who cares? unless you really have a burning desire
    to learn morse code. Its a barrier for those who wish
    to upgrade their ticket, I'll grant you that. Morse code
    testing requirments should have been done away with
    years ago. And don't give me the bs about if theres a
    nuclear war or whatever those hams will be sitting in
    their 50 eras bomb shelter going di dah di...give me a
    freaking break. No service in the US government uses
    morse code, and I suspect very soon the ARRL and
    the FCC will drop it as a testing requirment.

Bill@happy tech

8. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kf4glg @ Jan. 25 2002,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to play baseball you learn to throw and catch the ball. If you want to play basketball, you learn to dribble and throw a ball into the basket. If you want to hunt, you learn to use a firearm or bow and arrow. If you want to drive a car you learn to use your feet and hands in unison to accomplish this feat. None of these things are things that people are inherently capable of doing instantly, but if they have a desire to do them they will learn. Some will learn more than others and have greater proficiency than others. One thing is certain. Barring physical impairment or mental handicap these things can all be learned if one has the desire. Those who "can't" learn the morse code, barring handicaps, are only lacking in motivation or desire. Generally speaking, if they spent as much time practicing cw as they did complaining about it, they'd have already passed the "slow" code test! If you want to play "ham radio", you have to learn! 73 mike[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That comment makes the assumption that CW is the only mode used on the air.

9. KG4PVU

KG4PVU Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed my tech exam Oct 29, 01 and started studying the code in early Jan this year. Being a visual, it was a nightmare. At that point I decided that I would beat the code, not the other way around. I listened to the code using Morse Academy at least one hour a day, and more when possible, sometimes 4 or 5. Sometimes I even listened to the code in my sleep! I did not use the printed chart but concentrated on the sounds, and started at 10 wpm character speed. By last week, my practice was at 8/15. At the test, last Sat morning, I copied over 95%.

I consider this just about the most difficult thing I have done in my life, and I am 62.

10. KE2SX

KE2SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe this...16 pages re: why one 'can't learn' the code.

If you want it bad enough, you can learn it.

11. KD7NBJ

KD7NBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

for those of you who think its easy to learn code and anybody can do it,
    try learning it when you are deaf!!!! in my personal history as a ham,
    I have seen a lot of people learn code to get their general ticket and
    never use it again in favor of the new digital codes ( packet, PSK31, etc. )
    It may be time to follow the ITU recommendations from their last meeting
    and remove code from licensing requirements. We are stopping a lot of people from getting into this hobby or advancing because of code related issues. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.