ad: vanity

Why is Wyoming and South Dakota so difficult to reach??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by HQ1CAT, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you looking for SD and WY on FT8 specifically or any digital mode? The CQWW RTTY contest is in two weeks and its biggest of all digital mode events. Huge turnout from around the world.

W5ESE, HQ1CAT and W4IOA like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd think North Dakota should be harder than South Dakota (even fewer people, and fewer hams). Vermont and Delaware also have small populations but do have a lot of active hams.

The ARRL Sweepstakes (contest) is coming up in November and every State is active...one weekend is SSB, another weekend is CW. Pretty easy to work "All 50" in that one, if you have any propagation to work with. Check the DX Cluster and you'll see "rarer" states (and ARRL Sections) "spotted" there by callsign and frequency.

3. HQ1CAT

HQ1CAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft8 SD and Wy on ft8

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Special event station W7Y on the air now. They were 5 over in TN on 80m two nights ago.

AI7PM likes this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool video. Navy RADSTA (T) JIMCREEK

2 things--

RCA President David Sarnoff, never one to let an opportunity for fraudulent self-promotion go wasted, manipulates a Bunnell
    straight key "like the type he used to handle the Titanic disaster messages." Bullshot. The self-fabricated origin-myth story was
    he stayed up for 3 days handling distress traffic. True story was he was probably fetching coffee for the boss when the offices opened up
    on Monday in lower Manhattan.

Navy RADSTA (T) CUTLER, (old designation)--NAA near Machiasport, Maine--worked with a grizzled old bird who worked for short time
    there. He says the parking lot had metal grounding-fingers to snug-up against your vehicle bumper. If you didn't do that, the induced
    current flow in your car wiring from the near-field would have your headlights burned-out by the end of the day.
    1+ MW 13-14kHz (?)

AD8BU and KA4DPO like this.
  6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More than likely you will find them on SSB phone or maybe CW before you find them on FT8
    I worked South Dakota on phone and ft8 on several bands but mostly on phone. Try 30m for ft8
    Montana a little harder.. Only phone on that one so far.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams have their favorite bands and modes. I often hear North Dakota on 6 meters--being close to the center of the country also means that working coast to coast via Meteor Scatter is possible.

Zak W1VT

8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Even harder to get a confirmation from one of those states in which one of the active hams there. He states on his QRZ page he will not QSL in any way shape or form.

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Might want to try CW.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The RAREST STATE in the Country is Delaware. If I ever get to the East Coast I will put on a DXpedition to there, and Vermont!

W4IOA likes this.