Why is there some repeaters in the simplex freqs

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KZ4USA, Jan 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the frequency is clear at the time, use it.

If it is not clear, then you would be in violation of the rules if you used higher power to try and cover them up.

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What’s most annoying is when people drop them in between the channelized regional band plan allocations.

I had one near me that was put on 146.540 effectively wiping out two of the most frequently used simplex channels off of .52 any time it was used. It’s a 15kHz channel allocation in my region. At least if on channel you can easily lock out a scan sequence. Also it was digital, likely System Fusion so scanning with open tones for analog simplex and you get hammered with digital noise.

The fun part is, pretty much none of the owners of these simplex nodes have published contact info, so they know exactly what they are doing.

3. W4EAE

Having gone through the process of registering IRLP, Echolink, System Fusion, and Allstar nodes; your callsign and location are mandatory information--even if you can sometimes fudge the frequency info. It isn't as though it is impossible to track one down. There is no anonymity.

4. W7MIX

W7MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the RFinder phone is doing just that. It's using cellular networks to connect DMR talk rooms.

5. W4EAE

No exactly (or even close). The RFinder phone shows you available repeaters/nodes in your immediate area and allows you to select one for the RF portion of the device.

6. W7MIX

W7MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh! I watched a quick video a while back and don’t remember it also using RF. Disregard then.

W4EAE likes this.