ad: ProAudio-1

Why is there some repeaters in the simplex freqs

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KZ4USA, Jan 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if they went through the proper channels to setup these simplex nodes like this on on 146.415???????????????? on Pine Island Fla Saint James City area.

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion the only "proper channel" is to make sure your node or hotspot frequency is registered with your RoIP system.

After that it's the responsibility of simplex users to check the RoIP system web sites (EchoLink, AllStar, IRLP, DMR-MARC, Brandmeister, Fusion, D-STAR, etc.) to see what frequencies are used in their area and avoid those frequencies.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no "proper channels" when selecting a simplex frequency, only good manners.

4. KZ4USA

These networks have become a JOKE and setup shop wherever looks like. Be glad when this Fad is over. They can't talk without the internet so why not just talk on the phone.

K4AGO likes this.
  5. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you contacted the control OP of the node directly and expressed your concerns and
    solicited a solution?

6. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

146.415 is a simplex frequency, so this is exactly where a simplex node belongs.

I questioned the frequency coordinator (S.E.R.A.) before I put up a simplex node. I got a very thorough response in which I was told that coordination was not required, but that I should be courteous. To further that end, the response suggested that I put RX and TX tones on it.

Mine is one of three in my city. They all get a decent bit of use, and no one has complained. (Trust me, I would hear about it).

K7JEM likes this.
  7. KZ4USA

This one in Pine Island on 146.415 Ft Myers area interferes with people in Bradenton talking on 146.420 all the time. People have been using 146.420 in that area for many years. Not sure how much power it is running on the simplex node. They are real strong here in Bradenton at times bleeding over onto 146.420. sometimes S9 plus.

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

146.42 - 146.415 = 5 kHz difference.
    FM receiver pass band is probably 2o kHz or more (depending on the quality of the receiver).
    It's not "bleeding over".

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Both of those are effectively in the same channel.

In this case, it would really matter how it is used; and who is there first. Is it on 24/7, or does someone connect to it and start talking.

A simple suggestion direct to the node owner be that he or she did not leave the node connected to a reflector all the time, but rather connect when he or she decided to use it. That is how I run mine.

Who is first doesn't mean who was there yesterday, or who has been using it 'for years;' it means 'is the channel clear right now?' If the node owner is there first, then the 146.420 group are the ones 'breaking the rules.'

Personally, if I were on a frequency and someone came on and told me that they normally used that frequency with a group, I would find somewhere else to be; but the rules simply do not (and never have) required that. No one 'owns' a simplex frequency; the node owner, or 146.420 group.

10. KZ4USA

We will just run higher power in the future and they will hear us more like we hear them. Its on 24/7 and they will start to hear us.
    We can be on the freqs and that thing just comes on and they don't care.