Why is there so much MFJ stuff for sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3EY, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes research is needed.
    Costly is required.

A cheap research study would to count roaches left after a world wide nuclear war.
    Funding would not be supplied before .

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like what?

Guys like me just make what we need. I don't have anything MFJ.

K3EY likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

There's always an anomaly

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

WD3N and NL7W like this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Better living through modern chemistry...

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad MFJ is around, and has been around a very long time.

Unlike, let's see...Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, National, Swan, Atlas, Drake, Collins (well, for ham gear), E.F. Johnson, Clegg, Multi-Elmac, Regency, Genave, Signal/One, and dozens of other companies that came and went within 20-30-40 years, MFJ is still with us and has grown from a "cheap station accessories" company to a "holy cow, they make a lot of stuff!" company.

My first MFJ product was a "speech compressor" I bought from them back in about 1973 or so. It worked! It was cheap! And when I opened it up, I found it was hand-wired with dozens of wires that all had red insulation. Lots of wires, all red, a rat's nest.

I met Martin Jue at the Dayton Hamvention in 1974. They weren't as big a company then and he was easy to get to. I asked about "Why all the red wires? Makes it very difficult to trace if something goes wrong..." and he answered, "I buy the wire surplus from the telephone company, and a thousand feet of it costs a dollar or two. My assemblers are college students and it's their first job. Any more questions?"

He knew what he was doing.

7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m going to build this is as close as roll your own for me;)
    https://www.qrpkits.com/tribander.html

N2EY likes this.
  8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

He was doing exactly what experienced builders did on their own. They knew where they could be frugal, where there were to be bargains to be found.

Martin could have used my trick. When I was just getting started, I'd find the GTE repair guys around town and ask if they had any scraps of wire. A scrap to them was hundreds of feet. It became such a ritual that I only needed to do it every few weeks. They'd knew I'd be coming and saved whatever they thought I wanted that would invariably go into the dumpster, neatly coiled so the wire fit nicely over the handlebars on my bike, and off I'd go. I still have some of it.

Maybe Martin didn't own a bike.

NL7W likes this.
  9. KN6CLP

KN6CLP Ham Member QRZ Page

*Generally speaking* you do get what you pay for. I.e., there is no free lunch.

And it goes without saying that just because something is 10 times more expensive doesn't mean that it's 10 times better than an other product. There is something called "diminishing returns" and this applies to numerous consumer goods, ranging from sports cars, to audio equipment, to HAM radio.

Even the manufacturer's don't make such a claim. Does ICOM advertise that their IC-7851 is 10 times better than their IC-7300, even though it costs about 10 times as much? Nope. But just like audiophiles who want to get that last 1% of performance from their gear, that last 1% can cost a lot.

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had quite a bit of MFJ and never a problem. Even my last purchase 2 years ago of the outdoor remote tuner at the base of my flagpole. It's held up to hurricane winds, torrential rain, snow, and high heat/humidity, all without failure.

K3EY likes this.