Why is Manhattan construction so named?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AB8RO, Jun 5, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone has heard of Manhattan construction, but why is it called that? Ugly construction is self defining, but it's not clear to me what the connection is to Manhattan?

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The vertically mounted components look like lower Manhattan does from the air. Lots of tall things sticking up.

3. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Exactly, and with very little room between them.

That's why I've always preferred Podunk Construction.

Bill

4. AB8RO

Ok, I guess that you had to be there. My stuff has never quite looked like Manhattan, from the air or otherwise.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I've never heard of it. Where is it used?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never heard it called that, but that is were you mount resistors and other axial type parts vertically.
    That was the way we did things at Loral...

7. AB8RO

Manhattan construction is a variation on ugly, or dead bug, construction. In the ugly style you glue the parts to the board upside down and form connections in the air. In Manhattan style you glue pads made of pcb material down and make your connections on the pads.

Manhattan Style:

[​IMG]

Ugly/Dead Bug Style:

[​IMG]

A primer on Manhattan style (pdf download) by Chuck Adams, K7QO.

I don't have the patience to create Manhattan style that looks like that picture. Further, I don't see the benefit. Being that neat defeats the purpose of the style which is to build as you go, which means, that it's never right the first time.

8. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I also do protyping in dead bug, then just use good ole vector board for final versions. I'd love to make pretty PCBs but just don't have the patience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That first picture does kinda remind me of Penn Station... The second picture is definitely Jersey City (the ugly bug, sorry Steve!).

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

For one-off or of just a few of the same Ive always preferred dead bug and for VHF and up it usually works better also. Glueing down is a waste of time IMO and that will usually be the first part to blow up, want changing, etc.

Manhattan looks a bit anal/perfectionist and for those with lots of time on their hands.