Why is CW question mark two things?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which brings me back to my question earlier about people I have heard recently using the letter O "oh" as a cut number for ZERO. Everyplace I look I see it NOT listed as a substitute so where is it coming from? I find it confusing while in a QSO. Some here have mentioned they are hearing it also. 73 Rich

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. W9RAC

I am trying to develop a spell checker for my paddle, since I am "spelling challenged", I sure understand what your saying. It's the hardest part of a conversational QSO for me. I have actually had write the word out on paper before in a QSO to send it so the poor guy could understand what I was trying to send, so when you hear me sending CQ you may reconsider. 73 Rich

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    W5WTH likes this.
  3. W9RAC

Not to mention that if the guy makes quite a few mistakes it get annoying fast, the entire conversation becomes filled with a barrage of dits. I hear it mostly with new OP's as you mentioned. I think they move away from it quickly when they hear others who err making a correction as you have indicated. 73 Rich

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two question marks ? and ¿

¿ Was the station Spanish ?

W9RAC likes this.
  5. W9RAC

I'm waiting to hear "LOL" OR "OMG"........ I know its going to happen. 73, Rich

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, "ROTFLMAO" is obviously too long to send, so I suspect it will be cut to "R".

Wait a minute, that's going to cause a problem... ;)

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Recap on a L O N G Thread
    DI di dum dum diddy has ALWAYS been "?" on the ham bands. Dah di di dit Dah is a paragraph seperator "double dash" pause indicator.
    It took me a minute to catch on when newer hams started using "Cellfone text" lingo on the CW bands !
    OMG :eek:

W5BIB likes this.
  8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a great many "quicky" ways of sending almost anything, just depends on who'z sending and how they are used to doing it. The military also has them, but usually only those on familiar circuits.
    If the particular 'circuit' has their own abbreviations it can really get confusing (especially for computers). There are CW characters for every character on a keyboard, and/or teleprinter. Change groups and the first few sessions can really be fun...

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... AND, Dah di di di dit Dah, is a 'Hyphen'. - single dash - (one more 'Dit' than a BT) :)

dit dit

KP4SX likes this.