ad: chuckmartin

Why I run FT-8

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2ENF, May 23, 2021.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha! And the goiter seems to be growing!

M0IND likes this.
  2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Laff it up kids, you'll be no less guilty of ailment talk if you live long enough.

VK6APZ, W9FL, M0IND and 2 others like this.
  3. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The above remark, though dripping with sarcasm, does bring out an important point.

If you're involved in ham radio to have some of your social needs fulfilled, you're going to hate FT8. On the other hand, if you are socially "maxed out" off the air and not looking to ham radio for any particularly meaningful personal interaction, you might love FT8 because it is PURE RADIO -- the social element is almost completely removed and you can experience radio for radio's sake. For that reason I think FT8 must be a lot like the first Marconi contact. I love FT8.

W8MDE, KC9VFO, W9FL and 3 others like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

While this begs the question how sitting in front of an inanimate object constitutes personal interaction, this hobby at its fundamental level is about communications. Arguably, FT8, with its canned text message, is the antithesis of that.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No its not.

W9FL likes this.
  6. KE7AUB

KE7AUB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Same things contest people talk about." OK, it's funny and made me laugh. But.....

I've had a lot more QSO's , short 2-5 minutes each, with a few longer ones, in big contests, than I have ever had during FT8 / FT4 session. QSO's ranged from explaining the contest to a station, to giving equipment check info as my signal was the loudest the station asking was hearing, to ops who just want to chat a bit while surfing the ether. No problem - better if the run rate is slow, but gotta keep up that goodwill thing that our charter is partially about. Even in RTTY contests, I've had more real Q's than in FT8/FT4 but not by very much.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you miss the memo too? FT4/8 is not a conversational mode. Did you think it was?

8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it part of radio? Yes.
    Pure radio? Hyperbole. I have my doubts Marconi was interested in such "meaningful" way of making a contact. They were interested in passing information, much more than computer to computer passing minimal data.
    Enjoy it for what it is, sending some 1's & 0's using ham gear.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, is consensus agreed that FT-8 is a real time propagation check tool and not a mode to perfect your ratchet jaw?

KF5KWO likes this.
  10. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want to talk to people while I'm also tinkering with something else. I can get myself some DX in quickly while I have the time. I'm sorry guys but I'm not all that interesting to talk to guys. Shall I tell you the weather at my QTH?

If I was doing phone I'd need to do the awkward dance of no really I don't want to chat, just a signal report please. At least with ft8 I get an honest report and not a 599. Think of ft8 as a non stop contest mode of operation then it makes more sense.

If I want to talk about stuff there are other digital modes. Use the appropriate mode for your goals.

W9FL, M0IND and N5AF like this.