Why I run FT-8

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2ENF, May 23, 2021.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The memo said its not a conversation mode. But you knew that didn't you?

2. KA4FOX

KA4FOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same things contest people talk about.

KC3PBI, N3RYB, KY4GD and 3 others like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but mine was a funny play on words. Yours is just serious, like a heart attack.

WQ4G likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes, that's what passes for deadpan around here.

KY4GD and WQ4G like this.
  5. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X is what has kept Ham in HOA and senior living environments on the air. While I'm not especially interested in it, I appreciate that it is a stunning advancement in radio communications and I am happy that Joe Taylor, K1JT; Steve Franke, K9AN, and Bill Somerville, G4WJS made it for us. I'm even more impressed that it's source is open for guys like Jordan Sherer KN4CRD to make derivatives like JS8CALL from it.

W9FL, KC3PBI, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im pretty sure for you super HOA types you can load ft8 up on a coat hanger in your wifes closet, avoiding tickets from the neighbor hood NancyNazis, and make contacts, its that good. Enjoy it for real!

Psk31 is also lots of fun if you havent tried it.

When I was younger I rented in an HOA, and I got a 45 dollar ticket because the back tire of my car was halfway off the driveway on the grass. Im not making that up. Truly strange that people agree to live in an HOA under such draconian rules.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    W9FL likes this.
  7. K2ENF

K2ENF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well initially, it WAS a matter of getting the signal out there. I played with the height of the vertical and have left it at about 35 feet. Seems to get more red dots on average, there. (Yeah, that experimental thingie)

8. K2ENF

Well, yes, and no.
    Apparently, you didn't notice where mentioned I run a local net on 10m Saturday nights. Any serious local penetration means vertical on that band. I'll have my EFHW up soon enough to give me flat side. But have a look at my logs of the last few weeks.... been doing pretty well with this one... to my great wonderment.

9. K2ENF

There's more than a grain of truth, here.

NM9K likes this.
  10. M0IND

M0IND Ham Member QRZ Page

It needs a line for medical information, like:

Gout better - piles bad...

KC3PBI likes this.