Why I run FT-8

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2ENF, May 23, 2021.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Blocking someone and ignoring them are two entirely different things. Setting your FT8 software to filter out people from places you aren't interested in is not blocking anyone. It happens on other modes too--have you ever heard a DX operator working a pileup by call districts? When he's working sixes he's not "blocking" 0-5s and 7-9s, he's just ignoring them.

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The difference, IMHO, is that when a DX Station is working stations by call districts he is making it clear in his CQ, yes some folks still ignore and call and then there is the debate about if someone is a 5 in 1 land should they call with the 1's or the 5's (I would say they should call with the 1's because the DX probably has his beam pointed to 1-Land but of course you get the pile-up police and that complicates things).

On FT-8, if someone has an ignore list but is calling CQ generically that is different. Not that in the grand scheme of things it matters that much, if I call a few times and get no response I will move on. Some operators do get a little petty (again my opinion) where they have these arbitrary rules and say they won't log you if you break their rules.

3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I'm calling CQ DX (which I rarely do) I filter out U.S. and Canadian prefixes because they shouldn't be responding to my CQ anyway. When I'm calling a generic CQ I turn all filters off.

When I'm just in hunt and pounce mode (responding to other CQs) I usually filter out Americans/Canadians and most of the common stuff (G/DE/F/PY/JA) etc, because I have all of them already confirmed long ago and the large number of decodes I see tends to be distracting otherwise.

KY4GD, K5ABB and KJ5T like this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do ft8 because its where the dx is.

WA6OSX, WW2E and N3RYB like this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

So what do you talk about on ft8? Just curious....

WQ4G

N4CKC, W4KYR and VK4HAT like this.
  6. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, Rob... :( I could have started a thread
    Why I am sticking to listening
    Mainly due to my hearing impairment. Don't want to be drown, entangled, in digital mania or won't do any listening efforts anymore.
    Bitter choice, because I was, and still am, not able to buy (importing, absurd exchange rates, 80% duties and taxes) lots devices to complete my HF station.
    Feeling weary in a dead-end road. Not did much radio since started, in today's propagation conditions with a marginal station.
    Hopefully, desired to be a radio-amateur since the 80s so should endure a few years more, if not getting older at an accelerated pace.

Oliver

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. VK4HAT

What dont we talk about?

Everything lol

8. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what the Bypass button in JTDX is super handy for. I use 20m mostly, and that set of filters doesn't apply to other bands, so being able to quickly bypass them is a must.

9. VK4HAT

You know Oliver, now that i have DXCC digital, I will be going back to listening, watching the cluster and RBN spotting, plus tuning about and trying to work DXCC CW next. So like you, a lot more listening than I did with FT8 hehe and continuing work on my home brew station. The way I see it, its set some goals and go out and achieve them, the mode is not as important as the journey. As long as you are having fun and enjoying what you are doing, thats all that matters. A couple more weeks and I should have my shack out of boxes and antenna's in the air.

WZ7U, PU2OZT, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, I fixed your post for you...

Nothing. We don't talk.

Makes sense now...

WQ4G