Why I need a HF Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

S-units on the receive end is also a function of their receiving system & environment. Th S-unit increase achieved by increased transmit power may bring be above the S-9 noise floor of the DX station I'm trying to work...

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

There has been an "equivalency" of S.units and watts to get another S-unit. I have heard it explained many times.

3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

My 3/4 of a watt is basically an under 1 watt guestimate based on the lowest power setting of the 7300 with it's own power meter and in combination with the built in digital peak reading watt meter within my SPE Expert amplifier and is by no means official record but also is NOT far fetched embellishment.
    But I also certainly find that QRP braggadocios more impressive than the QRO capability of a stations operation..... :D

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good. However, when I check into an HF net, I want to be heard, no relays, no repeats. And while 80 isn't as affected as much as the higher bands, current HF propagation is making phone tough with 50--or 100--watts. ;)

5. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too!!!!

6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You think:p

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all the time. Most assuredly some of the time. But if you want to battle the QSB and lightning crashes of summer with 50 watts, full speed ahead, I say! :D

8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

With an amplifier I have options whereas 100 watt stations do not. QRP is a different category and not making contacts is part of the game.

9. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

More interesting though less objective: how many more potential contacts per watt. Going from 15 watts to 100 watts made a more noticeable difference to me in number and ease of contacts than the 1.5 S-unit increase on the receive end would seem to promise.

10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I can operate all bands, and I happen to think the antenna is decisive. No matter what, there is something available night or day sunspots or not.