ad: Retevis-1

Why I Finally Added a Raspberry Pi To My Shack in 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7ECV, Aug 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7ECV

N7ECV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never really had a need for the raspberry pi. I sure do have a want for a few now! If you follow homebrew and QRP at all then the call sign VU2ESE should ring a bell. He has completed his next version of the BITX line. This video will introduce you to the SBITX. It has motivated me to jump head first into experimentation and more. I have not been this motivated to learn something new in a long time. Follow me as I acquire, learn and tweak this radio to my needs and liking.
    73 N7ECV Doomsday Radio QRP Life

Learn more about the hackers' radio here ---- https://www.vu2ese.com/index.php/2022/07/20/the-sbitx-the-sdr-for-the-homebrewer/

[​IMG]

M0CLZ, K9EZ, VE2GCE and 3 others like this.
  2. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi DERRICK,

Looks interesting, I will definetly chweck it out.

KF2YD

N7ECV likes this.
  3. N7ECV

This may interest you it is the story of his trip from bitx to sBITX

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  4. N7ECV

Another take on the same story

VE2GCE and WA8P like this.
  5. WA8P

WA8P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great videos..too bad the Raspberry Pi's are getting so expensive now.

W4LLZ and W7USD like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The further development of a standard BITX kit for just one band. Now different bands, more output power and a SDR with a simple control panel. Real nice and a good entrance in the world of QRP (5W) or a bit more. Perfect for the daily Greyline testing on shortwave.

N7ECV likes this.
  7. N7ECV

I have seen this radio function with a Pi3... Those are a bit cheaper. You may have issues with additional taxes on the processor like other apps at the same time.

8. N7ECV

They are putting out the process for a VHF module. The future of tinker radios indeed.

9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Those tinker radios are great. My first tinker radio was a MKARS80. I learned, when I put the kit together, so much about the parts and how this stuff works. And many questions of the ham exams are here visible. Questions which made in the theory no sense. But when those kits have to be soldered, these questions from a former exam will come back and makes it more understandable. For example here in Germany a question about a battery for the car and how it is working. After I soldered the MKARS80, I saw the diods exactly in these formation on the board, to generate the output power. So the question of the battery was only for to simplify, and shows in big what these small diods really are and what they are doing.

W0DN and N7ECV like this.
  10. N7KR

N7KR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Stuff Rambo! Looks like a fun thing to add to Wish List. 73, N7KR

N7ECV likes this.
  11. WB8CXO

WB8CXO QRZ Lifetime Member #357 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

12. ZL2XC

ZL2XC Ham Member QRZ Page

I added a RaspberryPi3 to my radio room to allow full remote control of the Kenwood TS-890 with ARCP via the Internet . Now many will say , WHY ? - well for me, it was a case of these basic points : 1 - I had no wired ETH connection from the radio rm ( Downstairs ) to the ISP Router + Wifi ( Upstairs ) .
    2 - A VPN is needed to get around the issue of " no RX audio heard " when using ARCP over the internet . - a VPN sorts this issue out .
    3 - My ISP provided router does not support a VPN Server - A server must be installed somewhere between the 890 and the outside world WWW.
    So , the trusty Pi3 was put into action with the latest Bullseye image , and the following points setup
    A -The Pi3 Wifi access setup to allow it to be seen by my upstairs Wifi Router. DHCP reservation in my router was set to provide the same IP to the Pi3 WLAN MAC address.
    B - Wireguard VPN SERVER was installed and the important Config file used for the VPN Client was saved to USB stick ( to be used later )
    C - Bridging the Pi3 WLAN0 to ETH0, this is required so that the Ethernet port on the TS-890 could connect to the Pi3 Ethernet port via a simple patch lead and utimately see the Internet (WAN)
    In the ISP router, one important setting is needed - Port forward the specific Wireguard listening port 51820 to the Pi3 Wifi local IP assigned by the home router.
    Remove Keyboard and screen & Mouse etc and reboot the Pi3 and leave it in a pi3 encluser connected to the 890 . Job done - TS-890 now has a Internet connection to the outside world over wireless.

On my Laptop ( Wireguard Client with the tunnel config imported from a USB stick ( setting file stored from setting up the server in the Pi3 ) was used to preconfigure the Static Public IP ( or DDNS ) Keys and tunnel specifics . - All this is done automatically when you install the server. A QR code can me used also .
    Start Wireguard client service and check the Laptop can see the newly created VPN tunnel - do this outside of your home network ! - True remote control is not on the LAN , its via the WAN. If its status is ACTIVATED , then you can setup the one remaining task - ARCP Settings - setup with User & password , your home Public IP . Select 890 Built-in VOIP .

It might sound complicated but it really isnt . and its a perfect job for a raspberry Pi3 in the radio room . It has performed floorlessly now powered up continously for 3 months now and allowing me to remote control to the TS-890 from Sth Korea & Indonesia to ZL . Reception comments are common to the effect " you must be at home surely ! " so the Pi3 clearly doesnt degrade the VOIP data in any form.
    Feel free to upload the method in detail in my MS Powerpoint presentation to help you visualize the integration of a Raspberry Pi3 in the radio shack.
    Cheers ZL2XC

Attached Files:

K3CRM and K6CLS like this.
  13. N7ECV

Talk about putting a Pi to good use OM. That is just about plug and play with the SBITX and VNC. almost lol Thank you for commenting on the thread.

14. KB0TTL

KB0TTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Pi for a QRP rig. Now that's creative.

N7ECV likes this.
  15. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The SBITX is a very tempting winter project. I am very pleased with the performance of uBITXV6 by VU2ESE.
    I am sure the SBITX will be in the same league.

N7ECV and DO1FER like this.