ad: ARR

Why I do electronics...a little essay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Politics..interesting. I sure didn't see any and actually engineers bucked that. Many times I saw managers wanting a certain outcome or prognosis and the engineers just went with the facts, and that is what was understood from them.

I never saw politics enter into my work, the projects work, or the company's work. FYI

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Engineers are human. In my experience, some are interested in politics, some aren't. Some lean right, some lean left, some lean other directions. I've definitely known political engineers. And I've known apolitical engineers.

Many engineering fields are largely funded by government entities. Highways, nuclear power, armaments, space flight, sewage systems, and many others depend on governments, and many of the engineers working in those fields have opinions on how much funding should be provided to the areas where they work. Other fields of engineering may not depend directly on governments for their funding, but may be regulated by the government (mining, petroleum, bioengineering, communications, any safety-critical fields, for example), so that people in those fields may hold political opinions on how the regulations should be done. Many engineers work in fields where patent law is important, and engineers may have opinions about the way the patent system ought to be run.

But there are lots of engineers who have jobs that don't motivate much political leanings in any particular direction. And some may be independent-thinking enough that, even though their salary is funded more by one political side than the other, their personal political leanings don't have them vote the way one might expect them to.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Career in government....

NL7W likes this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought he was referring to within the organization politics, not party affiliations.

Regardless, when I was working in the aerospace defense industry there were a lot of people who took a particular "national" political side.

My experiences ran the whole range of engineering from maintainability, reliability, systems design, hardware design, environmental, mechanical, electrical, hardware design, software, etc. The majority were great people.

5. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I took that as more a 'tongue in cheek' comment.

FYI
    I was not born into the engineer life. It was introduced to me over time. Because I had no true direction, it took me until I was 29 to move into the title of engineer.

I had someone ask me why I want a boring job like engineer. My answer is that there is nothing boring boring about it.

As an engineer in have traveled the world, seen amazing things, made friends all over, and I learn new things (some not just engineering).

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric

I took a slightly different track. I studied to be a "Engineering technician" -- the fellow that would take a prototype and get it to work, then document the care and feeding of same. Ditto for upgrades and mods. The college classes were interesting, to say the least.

My thought process was that once a thing is "engineered" (if I may use the word in that way) that the job of a tech would last much longer - to include training of customers and so on.

Just a semester short of graduation the Draft Board decided that I had others things to do... Joined the USAF and rode that horse for a couple of decades. Now, I just do the tech writing thing, which I find to be satisfying.

I enjoyed you post, as I do for most of your postings. Best of luck on your new business....

WZ7U likes this.
  7. AC8UN

AC8UN Subscriber QRZ Page

That's funny I got into chicks for the engineering, I just love the way they're built!

K1TGX and WZ7U like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I have to ask, and no insult is intended or implied...

But aren’t those the type of engineering projects that start off with the phrase “Here, hold my beer...”??

Just asking... o_O

WZ7U likes this.
  9. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's making things work together that were never intended to work together with just a bit more sophistication than that employed by Red Green.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was taking things apart and playing with light bulbs and batteries as a little kid. My parents weren't technical, so who knows why. But it was clear from the beginning that I would be an EE. Fell into a good niche in data storage and stuck with it.

And then one of my sons followed me into EE which was a total surprise as I didn't push it at all, and he showed no interest until almost the end of high school when he suddenly got the bug. And then he ended up in data storage too!

Bizarre.