Why I do electronics...a little essay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy to report that several of my grand kids have gotten bitten by the bug. The two eldest are 13 and 12 and they became Technician Class license holders this fall, two others are involved in Cub Scouts and they are building circuits and having a blast with the snap-circuits stuff from Amazon. My 1st grade grandson called me the other night and told me all about a LED project he was working on, and how important the pull down resistor was...I was beaming. They built a couple of electronic dice kits from Elenco and have been enjoying them.

2. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you went a bit off the rails with that one.

W6UV, K1TGX and N7ZAL like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if you want to stop learning when you finish school, and build your career based just what you knew on graduation day, I'd say engineering is not for you.

But good luck finding a field that doesn't require continuous learning. I'm not sure what field that would be.

The good engineers I know love the fact that they get to keep learning new stuff. When you're learning things that are interesting to you, it's not a chore.

WZ7U and N7ZAL like this.
  4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Management :)

WD3N likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Me and math are mortal enemies. I'm in a physics class now.

Detonation in 45 seconds......

of my head, that is :D

6. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have an engineering degree and likely never will, but I am sitting in a Holiday Inn Express right now (for reals!) and have been rather adept at implementing many red neck engineering projects over the years.

WZ7U and AC8UN like this.
  7. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First, let me give a compliment to the OP for the beginning of the thread. I have known engineers who probably never strung that many cogent paragraphs together in their lifetimes.

I, too, have some insights into engineering and engineers. I have known engineers since I was five years old. I have been licensed by my state board of engineers and surveyors for 38 years. I am retired from an ENR 100 engineering firm (~650 employees).

For starters, I agree with much of what has been posted about the positive aspects of the profession. Many are fortunate in being able to successfully pursue such a career.

If you think that the engineering professional is apolitical, just start tracing the funding for your project. The manna doesn't come from heaven. Whether you work for NASA, The Corps of Engineers, your state highway department, Elon Musk, or the County Engineer, the horrid spectre of politics is just under your rug.

Engineers, like many professions, self select. Some seem to select engineering as a means of avoiding interacting with other people who are not engineers.

Some engineers I have known tend to have major problems understanding the issues facing humankind, due to seeing that all problems must have some logical mathematical solution. Of course, they don't. It's the planet Earth, not Vulcan. The lack of interdisciplinary skills, selectively avoided during education, lead to puzzlement and frustration. The most prominently successful engineers I have known and worked with had those additional skills, particularly interpersonal communications skills. They are a rare breed.

As for inferior stations, engineers create their own. Any of you who have been through a four year engineering school know exactly how the different flavors of engineering are sliced, diced, and ranked into a pecking order..... 'Nuff said for now.

73, Mike

N0TZU, WZ7U, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

These were exactly my thoughts as I read the OP, but I didn't want to say anything for fear of ruining his euphoric fantasy.

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My ex's aunt graduated from...some fairly prestigious engineering school the name of which escapes me but that had a 90% male to 10% female student ratio. She said the saying all the girls had were, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

As an engineer of sorts (my job title says "Engineer" but my education doesn't and I'm certainly not a "professional engineer" as that's usually understood) I agree, even revel in it. :D

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Why I got into electronics 50 years ago....

4d3d73b65945c2382b74a209d2f5face.jpg

For the CHICKS!!

KE5OFJ, AC8UN and WZ7U like this.