Why I Couldnt Upgrade To General

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K7TUX, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL testing information is only as good as the information they get. The ARRL isn't who sets these schedules and locations, they only report what they are told. Garbage in....garbage out.

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very nice he called you to make some excuse. At least you're not left hanging. So he gave the ARRL a whole 13 or 14 days notice, and he says the ARRL messed up by not updating the schedule. Well that may have happened, but why didn't HE follow up with the ARRL after he allegedly sent the update? He had two weeks to notice if the change had been made. All he needed to do was make one phone call to ARRL HQ and he could have had it fixed. How do we even know the ARRL got his update to begin with?

Sounds like the blame game.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

13 or 14 days notice should be sufficient. I see no problem with what occurred. In some cases, there may be less notice than 13 days given.

We need to remember that these people are volunteer examiners, who give up their time for free to see that others can test. There will be times when they don't show up, cancel out, or for some other reason do not come through with a sceduled test, for whatever reason. If two examiners show up, but they can't get a third, guess what? No test.

It would be nice if 6 examiners showed up, 30 minutes early, with smiles and refreshments for the candidates. But in a real world, things happen, people fall through, and communication fails. If this announcement is posted on another party's website, there is little the VE can do other than to notify the ARRL that the test will not be taking place. They have no ability to change the website. They have no duty nor obligation to notify everyone that possibly might show up. They might have some duty to notify people that have pre-registered, however.

That being said, I don't see a real problem here, unless it is an ongoing situation. When the VE's show up at 9AM, and no one is there, how long are they obligated to wait? What would happen if someone came at 9:30 or 9:20 and found no one there to give them the test?

VE's go out of their way to help others, and they get paid nothing. Never go to a test where the only place you have heard about it is on the intarweb. If you can't make contact, assume that no one will be there for the test. If you go anyway, be pleasantly surprised if the team is there, but don't be overly disappointed if no one shows up.

Joe

4. K7TUX

K7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

success!!

Joe,

I understand what you are saying. I was there BEFORE 9am as was the other guy. However, Im not gonna beat a dead horse. I just wanted to let everyone know I passed my General Exam today :D Im a happy camper!

5. N5POP

N5POP Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations !!!

Good for you John !!! :p

Glad it all worked out.

6. KD7EIR

KD7EIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.