Why I Couldnt Upgrade To General

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K7TUX, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7TUX

K7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

The following is true in every detail and happened this morning.

The Day comes to take the test and Im up early because I have a 40 mile drive one way. I check ARRL site to make sure there are no changes, and then call to make sure that the testing was still on. There is no answer. I hop in the car and drive to the testing area (all the way on the other side of Houston) a few minutes before 9am, which is the time the testing is supposed to start according to the ARRL website. The parking lot is empty and the building is locked up. So, I call and get no answer, and I leave a message this time letting them know that I am there and hoping that they are just running a few minutes behind. After a few minutes, another vehicle pulls up. I think "this must be the VE." However, it is another person who is there to take his Technicians test. As we visit, we are letting 45 minutes pass us by with several phone calls from both of us and no VE or call back. 9:45 am comes and goes leaving 2 frustrated people, me and another person who now may never become licensed because no VEs showed up.

Here is the actual entry on the ARRL site. Notice... it says Walk-ins Allowed. Also, between me and the other person, we had called the contact number prior to the day of the test as well as the day of the test several times. There was no note on the door for venue change or reason of cancellation.

Just food for thought... Maybe the reason people dont get into this hobby is because of crap like this.

2. KB1JFQ

KB1JFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the frustration, but being volunteer examiners I suppose they can have things come up out of the blue just like anyone else, maybe there was an emergency or was called into work, who knows. What I do know is if I had such a far drive to get there and I didn’t get an answer on the phone the day before and the day of.... I think I would have decided not to go. Good luck when you do get to make it to the test! 73

3. KD7EIR

KD7EIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a VE and there is NO EXCUSE for this. The probability that all the VE's for this session had last minute emergencies is highly unlikely. More likely they just decided to have a long holiday weekend and figured that no one would show up.

Even if they did not have the minimum 3 VE's for that session, at least one of the VE's should have shown up to personally apologize to anyone that showed up to test. Being a VE is about SERVICE TO YOUR FELLOW HAMS, and the total disregard for anyone that may have been waiting to test at that session is pathetic.

4. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you make any effort to contact them prior to this morning?
    You should always try to notify them that you are planning to come to a test session.

I am a VE also, and I certainly don't excuse their behavior, but VEs like to have a idea of how many people are planning to attend their session.
    A bonus is that if you had contacted them before, then they would be able to notify you on the chance that something changed.

Those listings on the ARRL site can be made for up to 6 months before the session I believe, perhaps they had made notifications on nets and at meetings, but you just weren't able to attend those functions and didn't get the message.

If they're just jerks, you would also have some evidence, presuming that you kept a record, that they knew you would be there but weren't.
    Handy to keep track of things like that and inform their VEC.
    Enough reports and perhaps the VEC will pull their accreditation.

5. AA9WE

AA9WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of your experience, dissappointing to say the least.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Pathetic...

7. KI6ZIF

KI6ZIF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very much agree'd.

I'm glad to see that there are some people left that have compassion towards their fellow human beings. And even more so odd for me to be saying this at 31yrs old.

I find it completely unacceptable that the VE's wouldn't have posted a note, had an answering machine that said the test date was canceled due to the holiday, etc.

Just unacceptable.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tex.....er, TUX

I assure you this is NOT normal VE behavior. If this happened here, our VE's would be roundly thrashed with a wet block of muktuk. I would definitely give it another shot....there might even be VEs closer to your bailiwick.

Eric

9. N5POP

N5POP Ham Member QRZ Page

Try Clear Lake

John,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Try Clarc.org in Clear Lake. Tests are done at a building on the NASA grounds.

Friendly group of VEs.:p

Houston TX 77058
    06/05/2010

Sponsor: CLARC
    Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (281) 483-4833
    Email: kb5pgy@flash.net
    VEC: ARRL/VEC
    Robert H Gilruth Rec Center
    *JUNE DATE CHANGED*
    Houston TX 77058

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your response is BOGUS. There is NO EXCUSE for the VEs not being there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.