Why Don't You Have a Tower ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2018.

?

What is the #1 reason WHY don't you have a tower?

1. HOA Restrictions

17 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Local Government Restrictions

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Live in apartment/condo, etc or yard too small

24 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Too many obstructions in yard (trees, utility lines, power lines, pool, etc)

22 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Temporary QTH

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Cost

84 vote(s)
    44.0%
  7. Spousal veto

20 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. Don't want to peeve off the neighbors

14 vote(s)
    7.3%
  9. Don't want/need one

39 vote(s)
    20.4%
  10. Other (explain in response)

25 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't I have a tower? Simple, I can't afford one.

2. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to, and my landlord wouldn't care, but the way my yard is shaped and where the power line comes across there's no way to safely do it.

Then there's the whole cost factor lol

VE3OIJ likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

For both my locations, not enough property. Yard is too small.

4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can’t afford one right now. Also currently live on a small city lot in a (non HOA) subdivision. While I know, PRB1 provides me protections from city hall, I am not sure I would what to mess with the rigmarole involved when dealing with city government.

If I can ever afford one (or two ;)), I would pull the trigger whenever I moved out to an unincorporated area, with some acreage, etc..

5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

She Who Must Be Obeyed says, "No way." End of discussion.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Tower climbing accidents, while infrequent, are tragic. So, I don't climb my crankup/tiltover tower. ALL tower & antenna work is performed w/ both feet on the ground:
    [​IMG]
    My Yagi's 30' boom quickly/easily partially disassembles, allowing the tower to tilt nearly horizontal. I understand there are mounting plates (link) that allow a Yagi to tilt. Mine was free. :)

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

By TOWER, I am presuming you mean a proper sturdy lattice structure?

If you're not interested in having heavy metal BEAM antennas, there's no need to have a Tower, as you can have a pretty tall MAST that will easily hold up wire antennas without any problem.

Given that a Beam is rather impractible for 160m (my main interest for 50 years) I have never considered having a Tower.

Quite apart from the cost and the unsightliness, it's also extremely difficult to re-locate a Tower each time you move QTH !

Roger G3YRO

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My 72' tower supports my 80m inverted vee, that I drive against ground on 160m. I work the opposite US coast using only 100W on 160m. I work DX on 80m. :)
    If you buy new, and pay someone to do all the work, the bill can be very high. OTOH, I saved a lot by purchasing used parts in EXCELLENT condition, and performing much of the work myself or accepting help from friends. :)

Moving anything is best done by planning ahead. I used uship.com to find a transporter to haul my tower here. The seller had a fork lift available for loading, and I had an automobile wrecker unload it. :)

Unsightliness is subjective. :p