ad: M2Ant-1

Why Don't You Have a Tower ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2018.

?

What is the #1 reason WHY don't you have a tower?

1. HOA Restrictions

18 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Local Government Restrictions

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Live in apartment/condo, etc or yard too small

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Too many obstructions in yard (trees, utility lines, power lines, pool, etc)

23 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Temporary QTH

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Cost

88 vote(s)
    44.2%
  7. Spousal veto

21 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. Don't want to peeve off the neighbors

16 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Don't want/need one

39 vote(s)
    19.6%
  10. Other (explain in response)

25 vote(s)
    12.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apart from living in an apartment it is really about priorities. My wife and I both work in Austin and buying a house here with a big enough lot to get up a tower and not be in an HOA is something that is currently cost prohibitive to us. We want to see as much of the world as we can before we have kids, so while I would love to have the land and funds for a tower it is a long way off (if it honestly ever happens, who knows where life will take us). I love this hobby and would love to be able to be competitive in contest operating but I find other ways to get my radio fix.

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I live on 15 ac of heavily forested land therefor access to 100 foot trees is 20 foot away. I have 40,60,75,160 flat tops at 85" so I never felt I needed a tower.... until a few months ago. I decided to do some 6m for local, 17 and 20 HF. I bought a KIO Hex over the summer to experiment with, and put it on a temporary type tower but low, it does pretty good but needs to be higher. In the meantime I did get my hands on a US Tower crank up which I will be installing this spring. Looking forward to the fun on 20/17! 73 Rich

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't really found the need for one, yet. 317 current entities confirmed on a dipole so far. I'm planning a wire antenna with some decent gain to hit one area (se asia) that I could use a little more oompf. I do have a good self supporting tower laying in the back yard, as well as a tri-bander, rotor, coax.. all I need to do is put in a base / concrete and I could be on the air.. but I just haven't felt the need to yet. Sure, it could help get my 20-15-10 (and 6) totals up. The only thing that really makes one tempting would be to get a more established antenna on 6.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Build a rhombic antenna farm, I did!!!

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Changed my vote.

I started this poll in May last year and at the time was living in suburban northern Virginia in an older R3 neighborhood. Had no HOA there, no restrictions, and the county zoning regulations regarding ham towers were reasonable. But I never put in a tower there basically because I didn't feel like I needed one for the kind of operating I had time to do, and anyway I was newly retired and knew we were going to be moving by the end of the year.

We moved to semi-rural North Carolina last fall. Now I've got 3 acres, no HOA, no deed restrictions, and no county or antenna restrictions at all, and a separate outbuilding with a separate "shack" room. As soon as we moved in I got 80/40 wire dipole up about 50 feet and 30/20/15 trap wire dipole up about 30 feet, and a 2m/70cm ground plane on a short mast; but I haven't had time to do much operating. Upgrades and repairs, and starting to clean up the property, have kept me busy.

But now after four months, I have time to start thinking about ham radio again, including a tower.

New challenges: To get an HF beam up on a tower, near the outbuilding/shack, not too close to the house where the wife wouldn't like it, I'd probably have to cut down some otherwise healthy trees to make enough room. And foundation for a large tower might not be easy, because I've got rock about two feet below ground level over most of the property that I've checked. Sandstone and siltstone boulders, not solid enough rock to support a tower bolted to it. I would have to have it dig it out to create a hole for a proper foundation.

Anyway starting to look into that.

In the meantime, I'm planning a more modest setup for VHF/UHF. About a 30 ft telescoping TV mast, guyed. Lightweight multelement beam antennas for 144, 430. Maybe 50 MHz if I can find one that the mast can safely support. I'd like to be on the air with this for the June ARRL VHF Contest.

And I can get those HF wire dipoles up a lot higher than they are. I'm surrounded by trees in excess of 100 feet tall. That's probably my project for this weekend.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have a lot of trees, removing some is no big deal and likely will have no impact on the property.

I remember after my friend Bill K2OWR bought his hilltop place (I think it was 11 acres) in western NJ many years ago I visited a few months later to find trees laying on the ground all over the place. Bill liked his chainsaw.

Those were cleared to make room for five towers. He still had dozens of big trees which remained; but the "cleared" areas were big enough for the towers.

My first comment was, "What are all these trees doing on the ground?"

He responded: "Where would you want them to be? That's where they fell when I cut them down."

He sold that place several years ago and moved to eastern TN. But "contesting" from there was a lot of fun.

You only live once.:)

7. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My county has an Oak Preservation Ordinance. Fortunately, I can cut down up to 6 oak trees without penalty. I have removed one dead tree, one small (less than 6" diameter) tree, and have one medium tree (8-10" diameter), plus some branch trimming to complete. Once this is all done I will have more than a 20-foot turning radius available for my proposed antenna on the TX-455. I was hoping to get the tower installed this spring, but it may be stalled until Fall :(.

Roger N6RGR

8. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Plain and simple, wife says NO.
    And that’s the end of that.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would you ask?

To me, marriage is a team effort where each member allows the other as much flexibility as possible and the line that shouldn't be stepped over is one that puts the marriage in jeopardy due to extramarital affairs, hazardous living or potential bankruptcy.

It never occurred to me to ask my wife about towers...or rigs...or tennis racquets, or skis, or almost anything that doesn't jeopardize her or the sanctity of the marriage.

K0UO likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned a long time ago that discussing my interests and plans with my wife was beneficial for both of us. Most of the guys I knew who felt keeping their wives in the dark as long as it didn't "jeopardize her or the sanctity of the marriage" weren't married very long. I guess it all boils down to what the "sanctity of marriage" means to both of you. Usually the attitude of "this is mine" and "that is yours" and I don't want to hear anything from you on this matter is considered to be rather old school. Yes the respect of each partner toward the other is important. But if that respect exists discussions about our individual lives should not be a problem.