Why Don't You Have a Tower ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2018.

?

What is the #1 reason WHY don't you have a tower?

1. HOA Restrictions

16 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Local Government Restrictions

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Live in apartment/condo, etc or yard too small

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Too many obstructions in yard (trees, utility lines, power lines, pool, etc)

20 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. Temporary QTH

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Cost

79 vote(s)
    43.4%
  7. Spousal veto

19 vote(s)
    10.4%
  8. Don't want to peeve off the neighbors

14 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Don't want/need one

38 vote(s)
    20.9%
  10. Other (explain in response)

24 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I wouldn't call it a "temporary QTH" I did put that, because (I mean, ultimately, they're all temporary...) I do plan to move when I retire in 10 years, possibly sooner when I semi retire in six if my plan holds, and it doesn't seem worth it, not to mention I just don't have the time for radio until then. So I also put cost because it's just not worth what it would cost right now for something I would use so little. If I could put a third answer I'd say "don't want/need one" but that's because I don't have time to use it enough (not to mention the hideous noise floor here in suburban hell.

The retirement QTH will be free of HOAs, covenants, and burdensome zoning, and will have a tower or towers. :)

WB0MPB likes this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

First time in 40 years I have not had a tower. At the height of my DX and contest years I had 3 towers with multiple yagis. We just moved here 2 1/2 months ago and have had other priorities especially getting ready for winter. Being fully retired and on a fixed income cost is also a consideration since prior to moving i disposed of the tower and small yagi as it would have been a PITA to move them. Needing only P5 confirmed for top of honor roll and having 7 BDXCC the attraction of DX ing is not what it once was. I'm much more of a casual op these days and my current vertical and wire antenna farm is sufficient for that purpose. I do have lots of trees though none are really that tall. I am considering constructing a multi element wire beam ;for 20 meters pointed at about 60 degrees next Spring. That would give me some gain towards EU, AF and the entire USA. We will see

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, I'll bet you'll get a tower up somehow.

We're not Spring chickens anymore and you might have to hire someone to help, but Cycle 25 is around the corner and some "new country" or "countries" might be added to the list (never know, with all the revolutions going on around the world). Plus, Dennis Rodman is studying for his ham license, so P5 might be back on.:p

N0TZU, N7WR and WA7PRC like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found that I could do all of the communications I want with 100W and antenna structures that are far less intense than a tower, in terms of cost, maintenance, safety, visual impact, etc.

The "Don't want/need one" option really should have been two different options, since those are two very different motivations.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. N5ATM

N5ATM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the room and location to put up a tower but it needs to be free standing. I've been looking for one on the forums and other places for a couple of years now. In Texas the pickings are slim to none it seems, or way beyond the price I want to spend. New towers are just stupidly expensive so I'm definitely out there as well. So, MAYBE, some day I'll come across one that I can afford and actually buy.

6. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to adapt to whatever your situation dictates but being an active Amateur Radio Operator and not having a tower is like having a bass boat without an engine. You can put it in the water, fish from it and have fun but your very limited as to what could be.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, really?

current dxcc chart.jpg

Twenty-seven years without a tower. Only 15 years with enough room (and trees) to put up several wire antennas.

8. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice, BUT what would those numbers be with a tower and how long would have taken to hit those numbers? Didn't mean to say that you can't enjoy the hobby or you can't achieve great results over time. A guy that was a novice when I was has similar numbers and not only does not have a tower but operates QRP!

I consistently work more than 100 countries on 20, 15 & 10 during the ARRL DX contest. DX, honor roll, contests doesn't interest a lot of folks and that's fine. Like I said it's like having a bass boat without an engine you can row out to different spots and catch your limit of fish, my point is that's it's a lot easier with a motor. Heck my friend that runs QRP with dipoles wouldn't have it any other way, he likes the challenge and that's great. This weekend I'll be running my Harvey Wells TBS-50 and HQ129X on 80 meters in the AWA event. I like all aspects of the hobby but when a top 10 comes on that I need it's kinda nice not having to spend hours or days getting the ATNO.

Please don't take my post as saying a tower is a must or your missing out on great aspects of the hobby without one, as you have found out good operating techniques is a huge equalizer . I'm really impressed with your 6 meter total's with a dipole I assume running relatively low power.

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Then might I suggest you choose your words and analogies a bit more carefully? Because to me, it sure sounded like that's exactly what you were saying.

The 6m totals are from a 5-element beam sitting atop a 10 foot tripod, on top of a garage roof. It might be a whole 20-25 feet in the air. Power used is 100w.

10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Don't feel that I need one.
    2. Other: Don't like climbing heights!