ad: w5yi

Why Don't You Have a Tower ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2018.

?

What is the #1 reason WHY don't you have a tower?

1. HOA Restrictions

18 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Local Government Restrictions

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Live in apartment/condo, etc or yard too small

26 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Too many obstructions in yard (trees, utility lines, power lines, pool, etc)

23 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Temporary QTH

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Cost

92 vote(s)
    44.7%
  7. Spousal veto

23 vote(s)
    11.2%
  8. Don't want to peeve off the neighbors

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Don't want/need one

39 vote(s)
    18.9%
  10. Other (explain in response)

25 vote(s)
    12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't afford to do it right and if you can't do it right don't do it at all.

3. KA8EFR

KA8EFR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a tower with a Vertical on it. Local Township Liberty 45011 has ordered me to take it down, and remove all equipment from the premises. I am replying to their letter this week.

4. KA8EFR

KA8EFR Ham Member QRZ Page

What out for zoning and HOAs

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Zoning you can usually work with. HOAs are a lost cause.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the "don't need one" category. Most of my operating time is spent out in the field, and for that I use whatever structure is available. Sometimes it's a tower or a pole..... other times it's a tree.... or my truck... or whatever. I used to have one, but haven't for several years now.

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have one because I can. Do I need it? Not at all. But I *LIKE* it!! :)

KQ9J and WA7PRC like this.
  8. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fear of heights.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my first tower back in 74 when I first got my license. We lived on the farm and I had a lot of fun making antennas from 160 up. Then we moved to town and my 60 foot tower came to town with us.
    I have had a tower at every place I have lived where could fit it in. In Iowa for many years I lived in a large 100 year old house and I had a around 10 foot four leg tower on top of the house. There was a large part of the roof on the very top that was flat. My dad built the tower as he was at that time a professional welder. So with the tower and mask the antenna was up around 45 feet. I did down size the beam from a seven element to a Cushcraft 3 element and my 7 element went to a tower on the roof of the high school. I wanted the school to get to have a nice beam. It was a Hy-Gain antenna.
    But then I finally got to the point that where I was living I only had a 6 meter beam on the roof on a roof tripod.

I never had any trouble with climbing and erecting towers. I had some very good professional climbing gear to keep me safe. I have climbed as high as 400 feet on a commercial tower where our repeater antenna was located. The repeater was up about 275 feet. It was a killer repeater at that height. But since they were charging our club nothing for using the tower or electricity I climbed it once to the top to replace the bulbs in the top beacon. That was a rush climbing that high. That is when I learned how much a tower that tall moves at the top and how much windier it got at 400 feet in the air. Also even when I was in good shape it took a lot of physical work to climb that high

My climbing days are long behind me know and just a lot of good memories. I might be able to get up a rung now but that is it.:) But up in Iowa I was the one in the club everyone came to for their climbing needs. I have erected a lot of 25G towers over the years.

So I really miss having a beam but I will never be able to have one again.

John, WB0MPB

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I climbed a meteorological tower in my younger days at a power plant site once. I can't recall the actual height but it was well over 100'. What a waste of a tower...nothing but weather instruments...but their data links were by radio. I also painted houses as a high school summer job and used 40 foot extension ladders. Nowadays I get on a 5 foot step ladder for a home project and need something to hang on to for stability! At my age if I ever own a tower (which I doubt will happen) I'll hire out any work that requires climbing it.

WB0MPB likes this.