Why Don't You Have a Tower ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, May 18, 2018.

?

What is the #1 reason WHY don't you have a tower?

1. HOA Restrictions

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Local Government Restrictions

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Live in apartment/condo, etc or yard too small

22 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Too many obstructions in yard (trees, utility lines, power lines, pool, etc)

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Temporary QTH

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Cost

78 vote(s)
    43.3%
  7. Spousal veto

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. Don't want to peeve off the neighbors

14 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Don't want/need one

38 vote(s)
    21.1%
  10. Other (explain in response)

24 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In another poll in this forum, about one third of respondents say they have a tower, and two thirds do not.

If you do NOT have a tower, what are the top one or two reasons why not?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont have a tower because of the cost and because I am 71 years old with heart problems and cannot climb a tower.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I plan to but just moved into a new place. Hemorrhaging cash on silly expenses like riding lawn tractor for mowing 2 acres of grass, zillions of "new house fixes", ATV for zipping to the barn and back, etc. etc. etc.

But next year, I'm hoping to get a decent tower in the air once I can commit the $$$$ to hire the job out (not in my skill set)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

-they're ugly. Sorry.
    -don't need one, I have trees.

W5TTW, ND6M and F8WBD like this.
  5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

- Wife and I are doing updates to the house before attempting again to sell it and move
    - Lots of trees...and the wire antennas strung between them...make siting an antenna problematic
    - Proximity to airport limits tower height
    - The agreement I have with the XYL is that I'm allowed only those antennas that are fairly unobtrusive and which I can take down by myself in a day (...although, at the moment, that day might need to be the summer solstice...)

6. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully I'm going to retire in 3 years and then we'll see. Looking for a new QTH right now.

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not put up a tower before mainly because it just wasn't a priority, and then as it got too close to retiremen, it didn't make sense to spend the money. The kind of casual & episodic operating I do has been served well enough with verticals and dipoles.

I retired two months ago and we'll be moving by the end of the year. Starting to look for a new place with a large lot and no HOA. Then if there's any money left, I'll think about a tower. The implicit deal is, my wife gets a larger, more modern kitchen and I get a tower. In the meantime I'll probably put up verticals for 80, 40, 30. Maybe a phased array for 30 meters. In the interest of getting the current property ready for market, I took down my old vertical and pulled up the buried radials and coax, to give the lawn a chance to heal.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's a win-win if ever there was one :)

Congratulations on retirement - I have just shy of 4 years (June 2022). But as I work from home, I do get a lot of privileges so it's not like I'm digging ditches all day :)

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Currently living in an HOA governed development make it impossible.
    My age (72 in September) make climbing a tower and maintaining it myself out of the question. However, if I really wanted a tower I could hire the maintenance out.

While I was an active ham between '74 and '96 I was wary about neighbors objection to a tower. I had no problem installing roof top vertical multi-banders and received good performance so I didn't fret over a tower.

After moving to an HOA governed community in '96 I got out of amateur radio because of antenna issues. I decided to quit amateur radio just prior to moving and sold my entire shack and vertical antenna. After hearing about "stealth antennas" I got interested in amateur radio again in 2015 and re-licensed in 2016. However, based on a plethora of stealth antennas all with disturbing results I realized I had made the proper decision to get out of ham radio in '96. :( Seriously, stealth antennas in my particular topography suck. With limited propagation they suck really bad! The only way I enjoy operating today is through portable forays into the boonies. I have fun with an FT-891, FT-817, and a MTR3B.

Unfortunately, at my age I can envision my portable operating diminishing. I may be forced to mobile and attempting operating from a vehicle...but I never was a fan of vehicle mounted HF antennas. So my return to amateur radio might be short lived. One possible hint at continued operating might be finding a senior living center that harbors an on site radio club complete with a shack and roof mount antenna. They do exist, but I'm not quite ready to become an "inmate" as yet.

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn’t want to spend the money on it especially while I was very busy with work, wife and children. Also, we had horses and there was a conflict with the round pen and the best tower location.

Now that I’m retired, the horses are gone, and one kid is out, it’s much more feasible. As my operating picks up I will reconsider putting a tower up.