Why Don't Basic Antenna Switches Come In Cases?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB3VHC, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB3VHC

KB3VHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have a Daiwa CS-201A 2 Position Coax Switch at my desktop station, attached with cable ties to the shelving. It does the trick but detracts from the look of the station.

[​IMG]

I've looked all over the web for a switch that comes in a case. Something that looks like this:[​IMG]

All of those types of cases come in every type of plug/interface you can think of EXCEPT SO-239.

I see MFJ does make cases, but they are for way too many antennas (like six) and are also intended for remote operation. They're also very pricey.

The old Alpha Delta 4Cs - when found - go for around $100, and have a 1950's look to them. Their new one with the open design is really just a glorified version of the switches you mount to the wall.

I also don't have the time or desire to try to build something on my own.

Does no one make coax switches in a case that are appropriate for a desktop?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the Alpha-Delta switches by mounting them using wood screws under my wooden desk so I can easily reach them to use them but nobody has to see any of the cables -- they're all hidden from view.

Nice, easy, neat, and costs about $0.20 for the two screws used to mount each switch (I have five such switches mounted under there).

I think the "lack of a market" for a desktop (non-remote) coax switch is based on the fact that very few would want visible, ugly coaxial cables on their desks. Another reason might be that unless you use small, very flexible coax like RG-58/U (lossy stuff), the "bigger" and less flexible coax cables are stiff enough to literally lift a "boxed switch" right off the desk or bench: Now picture four or more of them, or using hardline or Heliax coming to the switch...the switch could be located in mid-air, supported by just the coax.

Better to screw or bolt it down so it can't move.

KU4X, NH7RO and K9ASE like this.
  3. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NH7RO and W5WTH like this.
  5. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Does no one make coax switches in a case that are appropriate for a desktop?"

HP/Agilent did (don't know about their present incarnation as Keysight).

But, you don't want to ask on the price ...

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

That Coax switch CLEARLY has holes for mounting screws to fasten it to the side of your desk !
    I have an MFJ 6 position coax switch that is easily mounted, and it is screwed down on the side panel of my desk. Out of sight but an easy reach to change my antennas quickly.
    How do you manage with just two antennas, I have 6 coax positions and already need more !

N0YPD likes this.
  7. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Because people would complain about the cost color size........ Get over it?

N5RFX likes this.
  8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Because form follows function.

Here is a internal view:

[​IMG]Note the "constant impedance" construction, and the clever way the unused port is shorted.

A bigger box would mean more loss and higher vswr.

Rege

NH7RO and AG5DB like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Build your own

Dave
    W7UUU

N5RFX, N1VAU, WA7PRC and 4 others like this.
  10. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

A box like those data switches have would be good for homebrew antenna relay switching. The ice cube style would work well, with the amperage taken into consideration. I use those for cases for homebrew rigs. Usually found in thrift stores.

For a simple antenna switch, I have seen in the literature antenna coax switching using 120 VAC light switches, the kind found on walls in every house. Haven't tried it, though. I used a plastic knife switch for the 300 ohm TV twin lead to my station as a Novice many decades ago. The center terminals went to the antenna, and the left and right pairs went to the DX-20 and the SP-400 beast of a receiver.

Ted, KX4OM