ad: TinyPaddle-1

Why does the site function this way?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KB6QXM, Dec 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

User lands on home page
    User is not logged on
    User clicks on a picture in the QRZ marketplace
    User is taken to the login screen where the user logs in

Instead of landing the user back to the home page or to continue with the marketplace add opening before login prompt, once the user logs into the site, then the site redirection takes the user to the forums.

Why is this? In my opinion either this is an oversight or a poor user experience. Would like to hear from the QRZ web designer on why this was done. Thank you and 73

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Simple. The home page of www.QRZ.com is a site that as part of its function offers a forum, which is separate software by XenForo. In that forum of course is also the Swap Meet.

QRZ the site "pulls" images and brief descriptions from various items in the forums that is part of the embedded app XenForo (the forum software) to display on the home page of QRZ.

When you click on that item's photo, that item actually "lives" in the XenForo forum software portion of the site so obviously you must then visit that software (the "forums") to see the whole ad... or news item, etc. since it's within the forums (XenForo application) that the ad actually exists. The image on the home page is simply drawing from the content in the forum listing.

XenForo you can think of as being a "plugin" for the website www.QRZ.com and is hosted by the site in a marriage that connects the two together.

Dave
    W7UUU

WJ4U likes this.
  3. KB6QXM

Dave, As a Leadership-level Product Manager in the Silicon Valley that has driven many enterprise-level sites from concept to world-wide deployment, that is the type of answer that I like. I know that QRZ is not a multi-billion dollar Fortune 500 company with a huge IT budget, but if I had this type of dual application integration, I personally would still look at a technology solution to do a redirection or to do a pointer to the original add that the user originally clicked on. Some type of handshaking between the two applications. No API to do this type of functionality, java-script or anything else?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the kind words, but the dialog has now left my pay grade :D:D

I'm sure one of the IT folks will be along to either post further or reply in private as deemed proper in this case.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KB6QXM

Dave, Saw your QRZ page. What a cool ham shack. Sorry about your loss with the fire, but it looks like you recovered, but the classic radios that are gone are usually not easily replaced. I am glad to hear that the structure was saved.

W7UUU likes this.