Why does HRD have it's own forum?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by AC0H, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's a good idea. Thanks, David.

I have most the software on my computer in the house, and only downloaded what I needed to run RTTY and for logging on the computer I use while mobile.

Best of both worlds, imo. Your mileage, and opinion, may vary.

Other than changing the settings in commander to match the radio I'm using, and entering my station info, there were no manuals to dig into. I think it is pretty straight forward and simple to use. There are, however, help guides, and David is just an email (or yahoo group post) away.

As for most people not being interested in everything dxlab can do, you're probably correct. I don't use spot collector, pathfinder or propview. Some people do. I use commander for rig control for rtty/psk. Others do use it for rotor control etc.

I used dxkeeper alone for a good while before I decided I needed more.

Stand alone programs that work extremely well together to do as much, or as little, as each op deems necessary.

The choice to download/not download, use all of/parts of those programs is up to the individual.

I like choice.

edit: apparently I was typing the same time David was. He answered better than I did.

2. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO

(QUOTE) The choice to download/not download, use all of/parts of those programs is up to the individual.

I like choice.

That is my final answer. (ew that was bad!) I have tried many programs from MicroLog to DXlab to HRD. I have read many reviews on each before trying them. HRD best suits my individual needs. And as for bloated? I don't see it any more than many of the other programs. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it was.:D:eek::D

The computer I use while mobile is and older Dell Inspiron 1000, Celeron CPU 2.2ghz, (with a whopping 256mb of ram) running XP Home Edition, 40gb hard drive, 30gb free.

Typically while operating mobile, I have the Internet (via wireless card), dxkeeper, winwarbler, commander, dxview (there is a very slight bit of directivity off the right front corner of my pickup, enough to sometimes make a difference which way it is pointed) and cwget (it serves as a great poor mans band scope for finding holes in the dx stations cw pileup) all running at the same time with no problems.

All with 256mb of ram.

What bloat are people referring to? I'm not a computer whiz by any stretch of anyone's imagination, so maybe I just don't know what "bloat" is. I'm one of those who rely on people like David, and others, to come up with easy to use, well written software that works.

All who take the time and effort to create software for amateur applications, and then offer them free to everyone, should be applauded, whether you like said software or not.

Use Dxlab, use hrd, or any of the others out there that might meet your individual needs. If asked, I recommend Dxlab. Others recommend hrd or another program.

Software is like radios, cars or shoes. Until you try them on, you won't know if it does what you want to do or not. Since most are free, that's easy to do.

4. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Bloat is referred to as unnecessary or unwanted file size. In the discussion it referred to the amount of disk space the log file would take up.

Hope this answers your question.

Jim

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this thread, the reference is to feature bloat, not log bloat:

AC0H subsequently elaborated on his point:

HRD does not suffer from feature bloat, in my opinion.

6. KD8MJR

KD8MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I am not, is a Brown noser but I felt a need to defend the Forum on this one.

First:
    You don't own this forum, neither do I; so you should just except the fact that whatever the Forums owner decides to do is entirely up to him or her and you have nothing to say about it. A phrase I have read on many other Forums seems apt to you. "If you don't like it go start your own!"

Second:
    Even if the Owner is doing it for business or personal gain, it's a good idea since HRD is the most popular Ham software on the market and QRZ is the most popular ham website, so the two go together very well.

Lastly:
    Maybe your involved with another piece of software on a business level, I don't know, but you can't expect a forum to give equal billing to all the minor software on the market. I am very happy that they support HRD, IMHO it's way above anything else I have used.

7. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never said anything else. Apparently you weren't on the forums when each popular logging program had it's own "forum".

Only to those who don't know any better. I have used it and just about every other logging program on "the market". HRD sure is pretty but thats about it.

I am in NO WAY associated with any piece of Ham Radio software.
    Maybe you need to try something else rather than follow the herd.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have personally used WriteLog, LOGic and DX Lab Suites over various times in the past, and even a couple of others thrown in.

I currently use HRD because it does what I like well and I like the way it does it.

The nice thing about logging programs is everyone is free to use which-ever they like. What works for me may not work for you and vice-versa.

Additionally, I really don't see why having a forum for HRD is an issue. This is a private web site and the owner can do what he wants. That's what it boils down to in a nutshell. Anyone is free to use the website or not.

.............Bob

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't use any ham software, too expensive, don't use any freeware because I am afraid it may contain data miners, trojans or mal-ware virus.
    Why did I even read thru this therad ?

10. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct.
    Just wondered why we went from individual forums for the logging programs to everything but HRD piled into one. If the answer is that that's the way Fred wants it that fine by me but don't pretend that HRD is the second coming of logging programs because it clearly is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.