why do stronge station sometimes seem of frequency ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M6LVC, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6LVC

M6LVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed some of the very strong signal stations seem to use frequency such 7182.2 of 14200.3 instead of 7182 or 14200 for example,is this intentional?
    Or possibly good practice?
    Or is some else happening to course a frequency shift ?

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Traditionally, stations have chosen frequencies to minimize interference by tuning up and down the band looking for a clear spot--panadapters or a spectrum display was a rarity when I got started in the 1970s. And precise frequency display was also a rarity, the rig I used had markings every 5 kHz.

Older hams often live on properties with fewer antenna restrictions, so old timers often have better signals than newer hams.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    AF7XI likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any frequency can be used, as long as it's within the ham band (and appropriate mode sub-band, if any). The HF bands are not channelized, except for the 60 meter band which is channelized in some countries like the US to avoid interference to primary users.

K4MSM likes this.
  4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you implying there are "channels" on HF bands?

If so, you need to understand that there are NO "CHANNELS" on the HF bands, and that you can transmit on any frequency you wish, so long as your license allows you to use that particular amateur radio band.

However, if the BFO in your receiver is being pulled by strong stations, thats a technical issue not a regulatory issue.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Think we covered this in the past rigs have a VFO to allow operation on ANY frequency within the range permitted for that band and mode.

6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the same thing is the reason why people schedule meetings to begin at :00, :15, :30, and :45 past the hour instead of the other times in between which are just as valid. Following what is perceived to be a common convention when a meeting starting at :17 after or any other time works just as well in all most all cases.

KB4QAA, WR2E and K4MSM like this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some operators seem to have OCD to the point where if the frequency doesn't end on all zeros, they can't handle it.

Never bothered me. As long as all the radios, papers, pencils and the paddles are at exact right angles on the desk, I'm fine.

G0SDM, AF7XI, WA8FOZ and 5 others like this.
  8. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually try to choose a "round number" when operating CW (band occupancy permitting) to make it easier for other stations to zero-beat me.

That said, I get a lot more replies to QRL? when I do this, so it seems I'm not the only person who uses this trick :)

9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The obsession with being on exact multiples of kHz is comparatively recent. In the "old days" we real radio amateurs used crystal calibrators to be sure that the emissions were inside the band limits, and then we did not worry about exact frequencies. I believe that the influx of new operators from CB ranks and also the use of "channels" for VHF operations has inspired these new practices. If we had not lowered the exam standards, this would probably not have happened.

More than once have I called CQ on a HF local band only to be answered by a "new ham" telling me that I was "off frequency".
    Interesting enough, it never occurs during Morse operations...

I obviously overlooked the OCD aspect. It may explain the cases when I have been accused by older amateurs to be "off frequency".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    N5DMC and WG7X like this.
  10. M6LVC

M6LVC Ham Member QRZ Page

can a linear amp have any effect the frequency ?