Why do people I haven't contacted/don't know ask me to sign their web contacts?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9TC, May 17, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9TC

KC9TC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the scam?

K1OIK likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

It's like any collection; someone wants you to add to theirs. It's completely optional and pretty harmless as far as I can tell. A little weird, yes. It's all part of the brave new world I suppose. :rolleyes:

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep getting these Linkden (sp) requests. SO and so wants to add you to his Linkdern...what is it? Why would I do that? They're Hams, but that is all I really ever talk to online.........I'd rather they email and tell me about themselves, or their family, their radio adventures, their dog, cat goldfish..... I could give a Rats Ass about their Linkden. <---- I'm probably not spelling that correctly.

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a site for "professionals" to connect with each other. See their "About" page -

https://about.linkedin.com/

I closed my account after a 2012 security breach, where 117 million emails and passwords were leaked. For further reassurance, be aware that Linkedin is now owned by Microsoft. :)

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How are they contacting you ?

Linkedin is Facebook Professional. o_O

KU4X, KF5RRF and WN1MB like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn’t exactly call it a scam...

What used to happen with LinkedIn is that someone would join, they would be asked if they would like their contacts uploaded... and then everyone in their contacts would get an invite to join. Seems benign enough. Problem is, you would KEEP getting these invitations to join, until YOU went onto their websit and unsubscribed... from a service you never subscribed to.

Next person you know who signs up, same thing all over again, rinse and repeat.

In short, they would not take “no thank you” as an answer, and make YOU jump through hoops to get them to go away.

Oh, I’m sure LinkedIn has it’s uses. My thinking is that if they treat prospective members that they’re allegedly trying to recruit like this, how do they treat (especially behind the scenes) those who do sign up for it?

7. KC9TC

Your LinkedIn profile is a sort of resume, and my son got job interviews with people who saw his profile. So that seems totally legitimate.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KC9TC

I don't know. I see no point in collecting "web contacts" other than it gives the appearance that you make a lot of on-air contacts. I'm wondering if some of these people are looking for individuals who are responsive in the belief that they would be better email marketing list members than those who don't respond.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

The competition is fierce.

.. webcontacts.jpg

W4IOA likes this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

You dun good.
    I get those requests too, just delete them.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KC9TC likes this.