Why do my replies on swapmeet ads disappear?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL7AM, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AM

KL7AM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed my replies to swapmeet ads disappear. Why is that?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Were your replies things like "nice item - very cool!" or "Email sent" etc?

Discussion of "for sale" items or "I'll take it" commentary is not allowed. Please see the Swapmeet Rules page for full rules

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KL7AM

KL7AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is that swapmeet rules page?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a link to the STICKY in the Swapmeet section: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-swapmeet-listing-and-safety-policies-must-read.492042/

Here's the specific rules about discussion and "email sent" posts:

Commentary
    Swap meet ads may not be used as a discussion forum. All replies to swapmeet ads should be a question about the item, the delivery, or the price. Out of respect for the sellers, comments such as "the price is too high", or "I can buy it less elsewhere" are not allowed. So-called "price police" are unwanted and unneeded. Keep your price opinions to yourself. Do not post "Email sent" or "I'll take it...." in the listing. Use email.

Email Sent Replies
    Imagine that you're selling an item and it's generating a lot of email inquiries and there's lots of user interest. Then, without warning, the listing goes silent and no further inquiries are received. Looking at the listing, you see that someone posted "Email Sent" in your ad. Then, you realize that when other potential buyers saw "Email Sent", they assumed that they were too late to get in on the deal and they moved on. What's particularly troubling in such a case is that the user who posted Email Sent was only asking a question and had no intention of buying. Nevertheless, the Email Sent message killed the listing. So, if you post Email Sent and then notice that it has disappeared, then this is why. After all, Email Sent is entirely redundant as it's a message about a message. If they don't answer your email then you should consider them an unreliable seller anyway. Sellers shouldn't need to be prompted to check their email.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB likes this.
  5. K6EIR

K6EIR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here you go

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Moderators are humans.

7. W7UUU

Well, actually.... um. Well, I better not say. Never mind. As you were. ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave -

The flip side of this is sending the seller an e-mail and being told that it's "already sold". Within minutes of the listing, which won't see an update for days, or ever. Or, you send an e-mail and zero response. I had this situation constantly with QRZ sellers, and I no longer bother. The seller can always post "Still available" or similar.

Frankly, it's policies like this that keep me from being a subscriber anymore. If you can't engage, show your interest, prod the poster to check his e-mail - do things that you would do at a real swap-meet like ask a questions, make a positive comment (I get the whole price police thing), correct OBVIOUS mistakes, etc., then I am staying away. Why not make a rule that if you're going to make an offer, the e-mail should state (or select from a pre-defined list of responses) something like "Offer sent." Or, "question sent" - which makes little sense as questions and their responses COULD very well benefit others as well.

Heck, even this post questioning the policies and their effects is forbidden and will probably be removed. I get the Fred and QRZ make the rules, all good. I have had enough frustration dealing with QRZ's swap-meet posts and draconian rules, that I have made a "policy" decision as well.

Call it "Classifieds", or similar. It's not a swapmeet.

WA7PRC and K3XR like this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My replies to your 6m vertical ad were repeatedly deleted after I changed my mind and decided I wanted it. Apparently, at least THAT moderator won't let you (or maybe just me) change your/my mind. o_O

10. W7UUU

I only posted the rules - I don't make them :)

In fact, it's against the rules to "discuss the reasons for the rules".

So better just leave it at that :)

Have a great Sunday everyone and a great week coming up

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.