Why do hams refer to themselves as WE instead of I?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W0RIO, Feb 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't recall much of the 1960s? Did we do a little too much LDS?

KT5WB likes this.
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not the hell your whales. Nor are we.

KT5WB likes this.
  3. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Different areas in Texas use it in different ways.

I was taught that ya'll is singular or plural, depending on context.

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

We are not amused.

KD8DEY likes this.
  5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife's first year teaching was in a rural school in Missouri near the Missouri-Arkansas border... We lived that year in a small town on the Arkansas side that was literally right on the border. It was my experience living there that you could tell which side of the border someone was originally from by whether they said "y'all" or "you'uns". Anyway, my wife was not an English teacher but two students stopped her one day in the hall between class periods and asked, "Can you help us? We're having a debate over something... Which is proper? Y'all or You'uns?" Knowing this was most likely an attempt to merely delay the beginning of class, she simply waved them off and brushed on by replying, 'Neither... You're both hicks. Now, go to class!'

Hope y'all enjoyed that... ;)

N4AAB likes this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

'Y'all' is a conjunction of 'you' and 'all.'

So in Texas, people are saying 'all you all'?

'All you all' sounds kind of like code for 'K'. :)

7. WD0BMS

WD0BMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Growing up in the 50s and 60s it was only clergymen that I heard referring to themselves as we, must be a more recent phenomena with hams.

Dave WD0BMS

8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never done this, and never will, but I've certainly heard it ever since I first learned to demodulate SSB signals with a BFO, sometime during 1972-73.

Victoria, by the way, didn't adopt the Royal first person plural until after Albert died, in 1861. It is widely believed she began doing it because she wished to keep the spirit of Albert alive during the long remainder of her reign. She probably rarely if ever used it in informal conversations with her family, friends, etc., but certainly used it almost universally in official circumstances (meetings with Disraeli, Gladstone, Salisbury, etc.). She hardly ever used it in public because her public appearances were few and far between after Albert died.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because jargon, QBS, mystique, some LID told them that's how it's done.........maybe don't posses the ability to speak in normal english syntax. Could be schizophrenia.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Being French, That is what We do.

We Wee-Wee a lot too.