ad: hrd-2

Why did ebay remove my amplifier listing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by FRANKIJOHNI, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. FRANKIJOHNI

FRANKIJOHNI QRZ Member

Hi, I'm not educated on these things. I basically go out on the weekends and buy whatever I think will sell on ebay for a little extra cash. I listed a Black Cat model JB-74A (I found one of these online and it says it's an amplifier) and a unit that just says 150 HL (I could tell it was something to do with vintage ham or cb because of the plugs on the back). I listed them on ebay, and the next morning they had been removed for "violation of policy". I don't understand why.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Because those amplifiers are illegal to use on "CB" (47 CFR Part 95 Subpart D). The manufacturers tried all sorts of "tricks" saying that they covered amateur radio bands, etc. However, they would really only work on 27 MHz and, not only are they illegal to use on CB, they almost always put out a VERY "dirty" signal.

It is possible for a licensed amateur radio operator to rebuild one of these to "clean it up" so that it meets the technical requirements of 47 CFR Part 97 and to use it within the power limits of their license class. But, the VAST majority of time, if one of these amplifiers is not seriously rebuilt they do no meet the technical requirements of 47 CFR Part 97 and therefore the operator may be cited by the FCC.

In no way can they be used on "CB" within the area administered by the Federal Communications Commission.

Glen, K9STH

3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur radio Amplifiers!

A couple of points come to mind:

• First, this is QRZ.com, not e-Bay. Maybe your inquiry might be directed there.
    • Second, This forum is about Amateur radio amplifiers, not CB junk which is what you have.

E-bay has been asked many times to throw out any listing that appears to be illegal such as the amp described. Even though it is a losing battle, apparently they listen once in a while to the Amateur radio operators who constantly patrol their site looking for CB trash to get rid of.

So, that in a nutshell, is probably why your listing was booted. Again, since this is not e-Bay we cannot say for sure.

Personally I think that every listing such as yours that is booted off any web site is a moral victory for Amateur radio. Sorry if you don't agree, but I don't think that you would find too much sympathy for your position here.

73 Gary

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You have likely read or been told the contents of the Get Rich Quick books on using eBay.

1. eBay is a shadow of its former self. TOO MANY sellers un-educated in what they are selling --
    and majority that do not even perform basic research -- SO, selling prices have dropped considerably.

2. eBay has been very slow in removing shysters and scam artists from the eBay seller ranks ... so many buyers with cash ..
    have looked to others venues (e.g. craigslist, subject specific sales/swap boards such as QRZ and QTH.) for Quality and Value purchases.

3. For those that desire Extra Cash in these hard economic times -- I highly recommend that they specialize in sales items
    that they KNOW something about AND are in demand by the larger marketplace.
    THAT is what capitalism is ALL ABOUT ! (Sell what the market wants, and NOT what is found in your local garbage / dump.)

w9gb

1960s and 1970s illegal CB Amplifiers are Money Pits ....
    good sweep tubes, scrap value of chassis metal, and handful of parts all they are really worth
    in the 21st century !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.