ad: EMPShield-1

Why can't I work satellites?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KJ4PSU, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KJ4PSU

KJ4PSU Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a handheld antenna. I dont believe that there is any other 70 cm repeaters around Savannah besides ours. It is 880 ft in the air so it has a huge coverage area. I will try again tomorrow on some other sats and see if I can pick anything up. This is a pic of my antenna. What do you think?

2. KJ4PSU

Have you ever heard of Ham Radio Deluxe Sat Tracking. That is the software I am using. Even if I didnt understand it at all ( which I do) todays pass was a no brainer. A straight S to N pass that literally went vertical over my qth. I dont know!

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the software. How did you calibrate azimuth and elevation at the antenna? It doesn't take many degrees to not hear anything. Did you look to see the antenna moving? Is your antenna mounted on tower?

Since it is handheld try tomorrow holding by hand.

Looks like an antenna and my normal building techniques also!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. KJ4PSU

My antenna is not mounted on a tower. It was handheld the entire time. Azimuth would not play a role in a south to north pass would it. just point it south and move it straight up and then down to north?

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked both AO-27 and AO-51 several times with nothing more than 2 mono-band H-T's and aftermarket whip antennas. A "beam" on the receive end may help, but is hardly necessary.
    You have to check the SCHEDULE for AO-51. The downlink is NOT always on 70 cm!!! If the mode in use is V/S, the uplink is 2 Meters, but the downlink is 2401.200 MHz (+ /- Doppler shift) and you wouldn't hear a whisper on 70 cm.
    Check the AO-51 schedule here:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/CTNews.php

And monitor satellite status at the AMSAT web site. (www.amsat.org.)

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, that's good! Does it take an overhead pass? I'll try with my FD150 and FD450 radios. I can hit with small antenna but did not try receive.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Standard 2 M H-T and 70 cm/23 cm dual-band H-T, with Diamond RH-77 and RH-951 whip antennas; both are less than 15" long. I've worked AO-27 with the 7.2 Volt battery (1.5 Watt output) on the 2 Meter uplink aand only realized a day later that I didn't have the 12 Volt battery in use, which would have given 5 Watts output.
    Basically, any pass over 30° (which clears man-made obstructions) is workable in my experience. It doesn't have to be a particularly "high" or overhead pass.

Check out Clint's web page:

http://www.k6lcs.com/

de WA9SVD

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

It's usually best that you listen for, and successfully receive the spacecraft beacon before you move on.

Rege

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never seen one of those, and would be interested in seeing what it looks like Steve.

Any chance to run it thru your scanner?

Rege

10. N5MDT

N5MDT Ham Member QRZ Page

magnetic North/South or true North/South?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.